Laurent series for Log(z) in the annulus 0<|z|<1

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
dt666999
Messages
11
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Is there a Laurent Series for Log(z) in the Annulus 0<|z|<1?

Homework Equations



Go here for the Theorem. It is theorem 7.8:

www.math.fullerton.edu/mathews/c2003/LaurentSeriesMod.html[/URL]

(copy and paste the link below if you are having problems. Exclude the "[url]" in the link below):

[PLAIN]http://math.fullerton.edu/mathews/c2003/LaurentSeriesMod.html[url]


This whole section actually comes right out of my current textbook!

The Attempt at a Solution



From what is stated in the theorem I'm assuming yes because Log(z) is analytic for all z not equal to 0. So for any Annulus A(0,0,R), where R >0, a laurent series should exist.

I calculated a few coefficients out, but I'm not sure it is right for all n. I tried to google this situation to verify that my logic is right, but the only series I'm ever given is the maclaurin series of Log(1+z) which converges in the disk |z|<1.

Any help on this would be most apperciated it.

THanx.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
dt666999 said:
Log(z) is analytic for all z not equal to 0.
No it isn't. It's not even continuous on the set of all nonzero z.
 
Hurkyl said:
No it isn't. It's not even continuous on the set of all nonzero z.

I forgot I was looking at the principal branch LOG function, which is not analytic on the negative real axis. Thanx anyways.