1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic function on annulus and finding Laurent series

1. Apr 25, 2014 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a)Find a harmonic function ##u## on the annulus ##1< |z| < 2## taking the value 2 in the circle ##|z|=2## and the value 1 in the circle ##|z|=1##.

b)Determine all the isolated singularities of the function ##f(z) = \frac{z+1}{z^3+4z^2+5z+2}## and determine the residue at each one.

2. Relevant equations
    Harmonic function satisfies Laplaces' equation

3. The attempt at a solution
    a)I think I have to solve the Laplace equation ##\partial^2_x u + \partial^2_y u = 0## where u=u(x,y) with the boundary conditions ##u|_{|z|=1} = 1## and ##u|_{|z|=2}=2##. ##\partial^2_x u = - \partial^2_y u ##. But how should I go about solving this?

b) First rewrite ##f(z) = 1/(z+1)(z+2)##. I am trying to get this by constructing the suitable Laurent series about ##z_o = -3/2##. In ##|z+3/2| < 1,## the function is analytic and so for |z+3/2| > 1, the function has a Laurent series. What is the easiest way to extract the Laurent series here? I am trying to rewrite f(z) in a form where on the demoninator I have 1-(1/(z+3/2)), so I can use the geometric series.

Many thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2014 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

Perhaps for the second question it would be better to expand about a different point within |z+3/2|<1?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted