Learn Cosmology: Beginners Guide to Friedmann Equations

In summary, the student is interested in learning physics but is struggling to understand the concepts. They recommend studying one of the online courses offered by the EdX platform.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
I want to learn cosmolgy very much,Like from the begining,Proper distance comoving distance how can we measure them then friedmann equations etc.
I know leonard susskind lectures but he is describing too general,I want more detail. Is there any other good video lectures...(I couldn't find) a book will also fine but video lectures are best for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I sense a wide gap between what you bring up here and threads like
Arman777 said:
I am really troubling to understand the rotational motion concept. Like angular accceleration,angular velocity torque ext. I don't know, I listened my professor's video lectures, I looked some online course pdfs but I need to learn the basics and I need more basic practice for simple understanding .
Any advice ? Thanks
or
Arman777 said:
I am studying Lineer Momentum. And I am not quite sure the understand the principles and basics of it. Is there any lecture video or note that I can understand better. Level should be undergrad freshman.

I really admire your ambition, but without a solid foundation you'll be in trouble sooner or later. Most likely sooner. My advice: study the physics curriculum at your (or any other) university and notice they all do classical mechanics, classical electrostatics, classical electrodynamics, optics, special relativity, introductory quantum mechanics, and build on those. At your age you can pick up things quickly and you don't seem to realize that laying sound foundations under a whacky building is nearly impossible.

Furthermore @ZapperZ 's advice is sound: work on exercises as much as you can and don't think they are wasting your time for a moment!
ZapperZ said:
What you should do is pick out ONE example of a problem ...

Last edited:
Likes Arman777 and Vanadium 50
You might like the Perimeter Scholars International lectures
http://perimeterinstitute.ca/training/perimeter-scholars-international/lectures/2014/2015-psi-lectures

Likes Arman777
If he's struggling with linear momentum and rotational motion, the Perimeter Scholars International lectures are too advanced for him.

Likes Arman777
I am a freshman student in physics major.I just want to know for curious,Just learn some stuff getting simple ideas etc..I love cosmology...Its really early to underistand I know...I ll look all linkes that you shared.And Try to pick one and see I can understand or not.Even probably I ll not have a time for look in this semester.Maybe in summer

I am studying,I like solving problems...Thats what we like to do.

1. What is cosmology?

Cosmology is the scientific study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe. It incorporates principles and theories from various fields such as physics, astronomy, and mathematics to understand the fundamental nature of the universe.

2. What are Friedmann equations?

The Friedmann equations are a set of mathematical equations developed by the Russian physicist Alexander Friedmann in the 1920s. They describe the expansion of the universe and the relationship between its mass and energy density, as well as the curvature of space.

3. What is the significance of Friedmann equations?

The Friedmann equations are significant because they provide a theoretical framework for understanding the evolution of the universe. They have been instrumental in supporting the Big Bang theory and have been crucial in making predictions about the age, size, and composition of the universe.

4. Can beginners understand Friedmann equations?

Yes, beginners can understand Friedmann equations with some basic knowledge of mathematics and physics. It may take some time and effort to fully comprehend the equations and their implications, but there are many resources available, such as online tutorials and textbooks, that can help in the learning process.

5. How can learning about Friedmann equations benefit me?

Learning about Friedmann equations can provide a deeper understanding of the universe and its evolution. It can also help in understanding other important concepts in cosmology, such as dark matter and dark energy. Additionally, understanding these equations can open up opportunities for further study and research in the field of cosmology.