Learning Rigid Body Physics with examples?

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's desire to learn more about programming rigid body physics, particularly in 3D using the Euler method and quaternions. They are seeking suggestions for learning materials with exercises, such as lectures by Chris Hecker, books by David Eberly, and references like Torque, OpenDynamics, and Newton. They also mention reading a book by Christof Ericson and wanting more exercises to improve their understanding of the subject.
B.E.M
I would like to program some rigid body physics but my maths is a lot rusty. (for example I have done differential equations at uni, but forgot everything)

I cannot quite seem to get my head around the equations in 3D, with simple euler method, and quaternions.

Any suggestions for learning material that includes exercises? Ideally lots of easy exercises with worked solutions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
find the lectures by either Chris Hecker(i think they are freely available online) try gamedev.net. if not look for books by David Eberly (his wildMagic engine use to be open src).

You could also llook at Torque($100) or OpenDynamics(free) or mmm Newton.

Currently I'm reading a book by Christof Ericson : Realtime Collision Detection
its pretty good.

These are good references. I actually own David Eberly's book. I can generally follow the derivations, but that's it. I also have the simpler 'Physics for Game Developers'. I mostly get it, but there is still stuff in the Euler stepSimulator code I am just taking on faith.

What I really would like to find is masses of appropriate exercises to get my maths back up to speed.

Consider the huge number of exercises a typical 1st year physics book contains for rotational motion in 2D. I just looked in one of mine and found it has 84 exercises and problems !

1. What is Rigid Body Physics?

Rigid Body Physics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior and movement of objects that are assumed to be rigid, meaning they do not deform or change shape when subjected to external forces. It is used to understand the mechanics of solid objects and how they interact with each other in a physical environment.

2. What are some examples of Rigid Body Physics in action?

Rigid Body Physics can be seen in various real-world scenarios, such as the motion of a pendulum, the movement of a ball rolling down a hill, or the collision of two cars. It is also used extensively in computer animation and video games to create realistic movements and interactions between objects.

3. How does Rigid Body Physics differ from other branches of physics?

Rigid Body Physics differs from other branches of physics, such as classical mechanics or fluid dynamics, in that it specifically focuses on the behavior of rigid objects. This means that the objects are assumed to have a fixed shape and size, and their movements are described using principles such as the laws of motion and conservation of energy.

4. What are some common applications of Rigid Body Physics?

Rigid Body Physics has a wide range of applications in various fields, including engineering, robotics, and computer graphics. It is used to design and analyze structures such as bridges and buildings, to create realistic movements in robots and simulations, and to enhance the visual effects in movies and video games.

5. How can I learn Rigid Body Physics?

The best way to learn Rigid Body Physics is through a combination of theoretical knowledge and practical application. There are many online resources, textbooks, and courses available that can help you understand the fundamental principles and equations of Rigid Body Physics. Additionally, hands-on experience through experiments and simulations can greatly enhance your understanding of the subject.