Left and right invariant metric on SU(2)

In summary, the conversation is about the search for a left-invariant and right-invariant metric on SU(2). The individual asks for help on how to write this metric and what parametrization is being used. They also ask for clarification on the guidelines for posting in the forum. Ultimately, it is determined that the metric can be defined using left invariant forms and the metric coefficients are arbitrary as long as they meet certain constraints.
popbatman

Homework Statement

I nedd some help to write a left-invariant and right invariant metric on SU(2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What parametrization are you using ? And write the definitions you're working with. As per the guidelines of this particular forum, you're asked to post your work first and ask for advice/help later.

And this looks like pure mathematics subject, why did you place it here ?

I'm using the parametrization:

\begin{array}{cc}
x_{0} - ix_{3} & x_{1}+ix_{2} \\
-x_{1}+iy_{2} & y_{0}+iy_{3} \end{array}

Now I know that left invariant vector fields are obtained starting from vector tanget to the identity of the group (pauli matrices).
by duality i can find also a basis for the left invariant forms.
a) Is this right?

Once I've found the left invariant forms [itex]θ^{i}[/itex]

I can define the metric g=[itex]g_{\mu\nu}[/itex][itex]θ^{\mu}\otimesθ^{\nu}[/itex]

b)Is this the left invariant metric I'm looking for? Are the metric coefficient totally arbitrary, a part the constraints to make the metric non degenerate and strictly positive (if i want a riemannian metric)?

I'm sorry if this is not the the right place for my post! Thank you for helping!

I'm sorry, obvyously in the matrix is x everywhere!

A left-invariant metric on a Lie group is a metric that is preserved under left translations, meaning that the metric at the identity element is the same as the metric at any other element obtained by left multiplication. Similarly, a right-invariant metric is preserved under right translations. In the case of SU(2), a special unitary group of 2x2 complex matrices with determinant 1, the most common choice for a left-invariant metric is the Frobenius inner product, defined as follows:

For two elements A and B in SU(2), the Frobenius inner product is given by <A,B> = Tr(A^*B), where A^* is the conjugate transpose of A and Tr() denotes the matrix trace. This inner product is left-invariant because for any element g in SU(2), we have <gA, gB> = Tr((gA)^*(gB)) = Tr(A^*B) = <A,B>.

Similarly, a right-invariant metric on SU(2) can be defined as <A,B> = Tr(A^*B) = <A,B>, since for any element g in SU(2), we have <Ag, Bg> = Tr((Ag)^*(Bg)) = Tr(A^*B) = <A,B>.

Both of these metrics are natural choices for SU(2) since they are invariant under the group operations and are also positive definite, making them suitable for defining distances and angles between elements in SU(2).

1. What is a left and right invariant metric on SU(2)?

A left and right invariant metric on SU(2) is a metric that is preserved under both left and right multiplication by elements of SU(2), a special unitary group of 2x2 complex matrices. This means that the metric remains unchanged when the group elements are multiplied on either the left or right side.

2. How is a left and right invariant metric different from a regular metric?

A regular metric is only preserved under left multiplication, while a left and right invariant metric is preserved under both left and right multiplication. This makes it a more restrictive type of metric, but it is useful in studying the geometry of groups like SU(2).

3. What are the applications of a left and right invariant metric on SU(2)?

A left and right invariant metric on SU(2) has applications in theoretical physics, specifically in the study of gauge theories and quantum field theory. It is also used in the study of Lie groups and their representations, as well as in differential geometry.

4. How is a left and right invariant metric defined mathematically?

A left and right invariant metric on SU(2) is defined as a positive definite Hermitian inner product on the tangent space at the identity element, which is preserved under both left and right translations by elements of SU(2). Mathematically, it can be represented by a 2x2 matrix in the Lie algebra of SU(2).

5. Are there any other groups that have left and right invariant metrics?

Yes, there are other groups that have left and right invariant metrics, including other special unitary groups such as SU(n), and other Lie groups like the special orthogonal group SO(n). However, not all groups have left and right invariant metrics, and it is a special property that is typically studied in the context of Lie groups.