Left click on a laptop Touchpad started working after a year

In summary, the person was confused about their touchpad suddenly starting to work normally after having issues for over a year. It could be due to a software update or a hardware issue such as dirt preventing a good contact. The person also shares a similar experience with a trackpoint and explains how they solved the issue by disabling a feature.
CptWhoWent
Hey guys,

From the title you probably get the idea about my question as I am so confused.

How come a left click of a laptom Touchpad started to work normally after having a problem with it for more than a year?
I really hope it is not a short therm thing, as I have no logical explanation for this.

Cheers,

Computer science news on Phys.org
It could be a software update has enabled a feature that was previously disabled.

Alternatively, it could be a hardware issue maybe some dirt got under the touchpad corner and prevented a good contact.

My guess is the software update or something you changed in your configuration or even some new application that enabled it.

I had a similar issue with a trackpoint. I didn't know that tapping on it was equivalent to a mouse click and every so often as I worked with text in a word processor the text cursor would mysteriously. Later I noticed my fingers had brushed by it while typing and the click caused the cursor to move where the mouse pointer was. Once I figured that out, it was a simple matter to disable the feature.

It was a kind of Ghost in the Machine moment with random text cursor movements while typing that had a logical solution.

Likes CptWhoWent

1. Why did my left click on my laptop touchpad suddenly start working after a year?

There could be a few reasons for this. One possibility is that there was a software update or driver update that fixed the issue. Another possibility is that there was a physical issue with the touchpad that was resolved over time. It's also possible that there was a setting or configuration that was changed, leading to the left click starting to work again.

2. Is it common for a laptop touchpad to have issues with left clicking?

It depends on the specific touchpad and laptop model. Some touchpads are more prone to issues than others. However, left click issues can also be caused by user error, such as accidentally enabling tap-to-click or changing settings without realizing it.

3. Can I prevent this issue from happening again in the future?

To prevent left click issues on your laptop touchpad, make sure to keep your software and drivers up to date. Also, be careful when making changes to touchpad settings and try to avoid accidentally clicking or tapping on the touchpad while typing, as this can cause issues.

4. Should I get my laptop touchpad looked at by a professional if it continues to have left click problems?

If the issue persists, it may be worth getting your laptop touchpad looked at by a professional. They can diagnose any hardware issues and potentially replace the touchpad if necessary. However, if the touchpad starts working again on its own, it may not be necessary to seek professional help.

5. Are there any alternative solutions if my left click on my laptop touchpad is still not working?

If updating software and drivers, adjusting settings, and trying different techniques does not resolve the issue, you can try using an external mouse as an alternative. This can be a temporary solution until you are able to get your touchpad looked at by a professional or until the issue resolves on its own.