Legendre Differential equation question.

In summary: A}{x+\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}}+\frac{B}{x-\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}} In summary, the Legendre equation has a general solution in the form of y(x)=c_1 P_n (x)+c_2 Q_n (x), where P_n (x) is bounded and Q_n (x) is unbounded on the interval (-1,1). This is due to the two different forms of Q_n (x
yungman
Legendre equation:
[tex](1-x^2)y''-2xy'+n(n+1)y=0[/tex] Where -1< x < 1

General solution is [tex]y(x)=c_1 P_n (x)+c_2 Q_n (x)[/tex]

Where [tex]P_n (x)[/tex] is bounded and [tex]Q_n (x)[/tex] is unbounded on (-1,1).

[tex]Q_n (x)=P_n (x)\int \frac{dx}{[P_n (x)]^2 (1-x^2)}[/tex]

Question: Why is [tex]Q_n (x)[/tex] unbounded on (-1,1)?

I tried to solve for [tex]Q_n (x)[/tex] by substitude [tex]P_n (x)[/tex] in, using partial fraction to simplify and integrate each terms individually.

[tex]Q_n (x)=P_n (x)[ln(x+A) + ln(x+B)+ \frac{1}{x+C}...][/tex]

As you can see after multiplying [tex]P_n (x)[/tex] in, [tex] ln(x^+_- A)[/tex] is unbound at x=+/-A. Is that the reason Q is unbound on (-1,1)?

But the second solution can be represented by an infinite series instead of

where the power series is bounded on (-1,1).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We have that (see, e.g., Abromowitz & Stegun, Handbook of mathematical functions)
[tex]
Q_ n(x)={\frac{1}{2}} \int_{-1}^1{\frac{P_n(y)dy}{x-y}},
[/tex]
where the integral is defined from its Cauchy principal value.
From this it is easy to see that [itex]Q_n(x)[/itex] diverges when [itex]x{\rightarrow}{\pm}1[/itex].

I agree that it diverge at x=+/- 1. That is the reason it was specified on (-1,1).

This is true for polynomial [tex]P_n (x)[/tex] also.

Why only [tex]Q_n (x)[/tex] is unbounded if represented by power series?

I updated the original post already.

Last edited:
yungman said:
Legendre equation:
[tex](1-x^2)y''-2xy'+n(n+1)y=0[/tex] Where -1< x < 1

Where [tex]P_n (x)[/tex] is bounded and [tex]Q_n (x)[/tex] is unbounded on (-1,1).

Question: Why is [tex]Q_n (x)[/tex] unbounded on (-1,1)?

I remember that for a Legendre equation, one of the linearly independent solution is a polynomial Pn and the other one is an infinite series Qn. Do you meant to say that Qn(x) does not converge for x in (-1,1)?
If it doesn't converges how can it be a solution. :confused:

Just curious. Does this expression
comes from applying Lagrange method of reduction of order ?

matematikawan said:
I remember that for a Legendre equation, one of the linearly independent solution is a polynomial Pn and the other one is an infinite series Qn. Do you meant to say that Qn(x) does not converge for x in (-1,1)?
If it doesn't converges how can it be a solution. :confused:

Just curious. Does this expression
comes from applying Lagrange method of reduction of order ?

[tex]Q_n (x)[/tex] obtained by Reduction of Order using [tex]P_n (x)[/tex].

I never understand why they have two different form of [tex]Q_n (x)[/tex]. One as shown above and the other is an infinite series like you described.

This is the two Legendre series. If n is an integer, one become a polynomial and the other solution remain a power infinite series.

[tex] y_1 (x)=a_0 [1-\frac{n(n+1)}{2!}x^2 +\frac{(n-2)n(n+1)(n+3)}{4!}x^4 -\frac{(n-4)(n-2)n(n+1)(n+3)(n+5)}{6!}x^6...][/tex](1)

[tex] y_2 (x)=a_1 [x-\frac{(n-1)(n+2)}{3!}x^3 +\frac{(n-3)(n-1)(n+2)(n+4)}{5!}x^5 -\frac{(n-5)(n-3)(n-1)(n+2)(n+4)(n+6)}{7!}x^7...][/tex](2)

(1) and (2) obvious is continuous on (-1,1) and the series converge on (-1,1)

The other is [tex]Q_n (x)=P_n (x)\int \frac{dx}{[P_n (x)]^2 (1-x^2)}[/tex](3) which have points of discontinuity as shown below is an example using (3) with n=2.

[tex]P_2 (x)=\frac{1}{2}(3x^2 -1)[/tex]
[tex]Q_2 (x)=P_2 (x)\int \frac{dx}{[P_2 (x)]^2 (1-x^2)}=\frac{1}{2}[3x^2 -1]\int \frac{dx}{{[\frac{1}{2}[3x^2 -1]^2 (1-x^2)}}[/tex]

[tex]Q_2 (x)=\frac{2}{9}[3x^2 -1]\int \frac{dx}{{[x^2 -\frac{1}{3}]^2 (1-x^2)}}[/tex]

[tex]Q_2 (x)=\frac{2}{9}[3x^2 -1]\int \frac{dx}{(x+\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})^2 (x-\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})^2 (1-x^2)}}[/tex]

[tex]Q_2 (x)=\frac{2}{9}(3x^2 -1){\int \frac{Adx}{(x+\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})}+\int \frac{Bdx}{(x+\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})^2 }+\int \frac{Cdx}{(x-\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})}+\int \frac{Ddx}{(x-\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})^2 }+\int \frac{(E+Fx)dx}{(1-x^2 )}[/tex]

Where A, B, C, D, E, F are constant numbers only.

[tex]Q_2 (x)=\frac{2}{3} (x+\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})(x-\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}) [A ln(x+\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})-\frac{B}{(x+\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})}+C ln(x-\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})-\frac{D}{(x-\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})}-\frac{F}{2}(ln(1-x^2 )][/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow Q_2 (x)=\frac{2}{3}[A (x+\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})(x-\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}) ln(x+\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})-B(x-\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})+C (x+\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})(x-\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}) ln(x-\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})-D(x+\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})-\frac{F}{2}(x+\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})(x-\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}) (ln(1-x^2 )][/tex]

As shown, all the denominators are cancel so the no denominator to worry about. The points of unbound are [tex]x=\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex] and [tex]x=-\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex] in the [tex]ln(x-\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})[/tex] etc.

As you see, the two form of [tex]Q_n (x)[/tex] have different characteristics. What did I do wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
matematikawan said:
If we could simplify your computation a bit.
I will use http://integrals.wolfram.com/index.jsp?expr=1/((1-3x^2)^2*(1-x^2))&random=false"
[tex]Q_n (x)=P_n (x)\int \frac{dx}{[P_n (x)]^2 (1-x^2)} [/tex]
[tex] = \frac{1}{4}(3x^2-1)\{\frac{6x}{1-3x^2} +\log{(1+x)}-\log{(1-x) \} [/tex]

We can see that Q(x) converges for all x in (-1,1).

I tried the Wolfram Mathematica and get similar to your answer, difference is 3x^2-1 instead of 1-3x^2.

BUT I double check my steps on the partial fraction, B=D=9/8, E=0 and there are terms like [tex]ln(x^+_-\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})[/tex] exist. Please double check my partial fraction work above and let me know what I did wrong. I check it 3 times already before I even post the thread. Something must be very wrong what I did and I don't see it.

You can easily see [tex]ln(x^+_-1)[/tex] are from [tex]\frac{1}{1-x^2 }[/tex].

How about the [tex](3x^2 -1)^2 = 9(x+\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})^2 (x-\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})^2 [/tex] ?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
[itex]Q_n(x)[/itex] does not contain any integration constants, and your formula for it is rather inconvenient.
Here is a more useful formula for [itex]Q_n(x)[/itex] obtained from Handbook of Mathematical Functions:
[tex]
Q_n(x)={\frac{1}{2}}P_n(x){\ln}{\frac{1+x}{1-x}}- \sum_{m=1}^nP_{m-1}(x)P_{n-m}(x)/m.
[/tex]
We easily find that
[tex]
Q_2(x)={\frac{(3x^2-1)}{4}}{\ln}{\frac{1+x}{1-x}}-{\frac{3x}{2}}.
[/tex]

Last edited:
After I saw the Wolfram simulation, I work through the numbers and find all the constants, find out the terms contain all the points in between x+-1 to x=1 disappeared because the coeficients for those terms are zero!

Below is what I got and I double check already.
[tex]Q_2 (x)=P_2 (x)\int \frac{dx}{[P_2 (x)]^2 (1-x^2)}=\frac{1}{2}[3x^2 -1]\int \frac{dx}{{[\frac{1}{2}[3x^2 -1]^2 (1-x^2)}}[/tex]

[tex]Q_2 (x)=2[3x^2 -1]\int \frac{dx}{ (\sqrt{3}x^2 +1)^2 (\sqrt{3}x-1)^2 (1+x)(1-x)}[/tex]

[tex]Q_2 (x)=2(3x^2 -1)[{\int \frac{Adx}{ (\sqrt{3}x +1) } +\int \frac{Bdx}{ (\sqrt{3}x +1)^2 }+\int \frac{Cdx}{ (\sqrt{3}x -1) }+\int \frac{Ddx}{ (\sqrt{3}x -1)^2 }+\int \frac{Edx}{(1+x )} +\int \frac{Fdx}{(1-x )}][/tex]

Where A, B, C, D, E, F are constant numbers only. See below the steps to obtain the constants using partial fraction. This give:

[tex]Q_2 (x)=2(3x^2 -1)[\frac{\sqrt{3}}{6}\int \frac{dx}{ (\sqrt{3}x +1) } + \frac{3}{8}\int \frac{dx}{ (\sqrt{3}x +1)^2 } + \frac{2\sqrt{3}-3}{12}\int \frac{dx}{ (\sqrt{3}x -1) }+ [/tex]
[tex]\frac{3}{8}\int \frac{dx}{ (\sqrt{3}x -1)^2 } - \frac{1}{8}\int \frac{dx}{(1+x )} + \frac{1}{8}\int \frac{Fdx}{(1-x )}][/tex]

[tex]Q_2 (x)=2(\sqrt{3}x+1 )(\sqrt{3}x-1) [- \frac{3}{8}\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\frac{1}{(\sqrt{3}x+1)} - \frac{3}{8}\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\frac{1}{(\sqrt{3}x-1)} + \frac{1}{8}ln(1+x) - \frac{1}{8}(ln(1-x)][/tex]

As shown, all the denominators are cancel so the no denominator to worry about. The only points of unbound on (-1,1) are from:x=-1 and x+1.

Partial Fraction.
[tex]\frac{1}{ (\sqrt{3}x+1)^2 (\sqrt{3}x-1)^2 (1+x)(1-x) } = { \frac{A}{ (\sqrt{3}x +1) } + \frac{B}{ (\sqrt{3}x +1)^2 }+[/tex]
[tex] \frac{C}{ (\sqrt{3}x -1) }+ \frac{D}{ (\sqrt{3}x -1)^2 }+ \frac{E}{(1+x )} + \frac{F}{(1-x )}}[/tex]

1) Multiply both side by [tex] (\sqrt{3}x+1)^2[/tex] and let [tex] x=-\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\Rightarrow[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{ (\sqrt{3}x-1)^2 (1+x)(1-x) } = B= \frac{1}{ (-2)^2 (1-\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})(1+\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})} \Rightarrow B=\frac{3}{8}[/tex]

2) Multiply both side by [tex] (\sqrt{3}x-1)^2[/tex] and let [tex] x=\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\Rightarrow[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{ (\sqrt{3}x+1)^2 (1+x)(1-x) } = D= \frac{1}{ (2)^2 (1+\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})(1-\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})} \Rightarrow D=\frac{3}{8}[/tex]

3) Multiply both side by [tex] (1+x)[/tex] and let [tex] x=-1\Rightarrow[/tex]
[tex] \frac{1}{ (\sqrt{3}x+1)^2 (\sqrt{3}x-1)^2 (1-x) }=E = \frac{1}{ (1-\sqrt{3})^2 (-1-\sqrt{3})^2 (2) }\RightarrowE=\frac{1}{8}[/tex]

4) Multiply both side by [tex] (1-x)[/tex] and let [tex] x=1\Rightarrow[/tex]
[tex] \frac{1}{ (\sqrt{3}x+1)^2 (\sqrt{3}x-1)^2 (1+x) }= F = \frac{1}{ (\sqrt{3}+1)^2 (\sqrt{3}-1)^2 (2) }\RightarrowF=\frac{1}{8}[/tex]

Substitude B,D,E,F in:

[tex]\frac{1}{ (\sqrt{3}x+1)^2 (\sqrt{3}x-1)^2 (1+x)(1-x) } = { \frac{A}{ (\sqrt{3}x +1) } + \frac{3}{8}\frac{1}{ (\sqrt{3}x +1)^2 }+ \frac{C}{ (\sqrt{3}x -1) }+ \frac{3}{8}\frac{1}{ (\sqrt{3}x -1)^2 }+ [/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{8}\frac{1}{(1+x )} + \frac{1}{8}\frac{1}{(1-x )}}[/tex]

Let x=0 [tex] 1 = A + \frac{3}{8} - C+ \frac{3}{8} + \frac{1}{8} + \frac{1}{8}\Rightarrow A-C=0[/tex]

Let x=[tex]\sqrt{3}\Rightarrow\frac{1}{(3+1)^2 (3-1)^2 (1+\sqrt{3}) (1-\sqrt{3})}=-\frac{1}{128} = \frac{A}{4} + \frac{3}{128} +\frac{C}{2} +\frac{3}{32} +\frac{1}{8}\frac{1}{(1+\sqrt{3})} + \frac{1}{8}\frac{1}{(1-\sqrt{3}) }[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{A}{4}+\frac{C}{2} = -\frac{1}{128} - \frac{3}{128} - \frac{3}{32} + \frac{16}{128} } = 0[/tex]

This give [tex]A+2C=0[/tex]

Together with [tex]A-C=0[/tex] result in [tex]A=C=0[/tex]

Question is are all other n = 0,1,2,3,...behave the same?

Thanks for your time.

I know so far all the question except one had all been clarified. The last question is:

Why books claimed Q is unbound in [-1,1] and cannot be used in a lot of the BVP? In reality the only reason P is bounded on [-1,1] only after they normalized the coefficients so P(1)=1. Or else P is unbounded too! Why the book don't attempt to normalize the coefficients of Q so Q(1)=1. Then both P and Q are bounded on [-1,1].

Thanks

Anyone, please?

Qn(x) is unbounded at the end point (boundary ?).

The general solution to the Legendre Differential equation is
[tex]y(x)=c_1 P_n (x)+c_2 Q_n (x)[/tex]

If we impose the boundary conditions, I think c2 must be zero because Qn(1 or -1) is unbounded. Thus, the final solution only involves Pn(x).

matematikawan said:
Qn(x) is unbounded at the end point (boundary ?).

The general solution to the Legendre Differential equation is
[tex]y(x)=c_1 P_n (x)+c_2 Q_n (x)[/tex]

If we impose the boundary conditions, I think c2 must be zero because Qn(1 or -1) is unbounded. Thus, the final solution only involves Pn(x).

Actually [tex]Q_n(x)[/tex] is bounded in (-1,1), just not bounded in [-1,1]. It is only the two end points that[tex]Q_n(x)[/tex] not bounded.

That is my whole question. [tex]P_n(x)[/tex] is bounded in [-1,1] ONLY when they normalize all the coefficients so [tex]P_n(1)=1[/tex]! [tex]Q_n(x)[/tex] is unbounded because they did not normalize the Coefficients. You can just as easy putting a coefficient infront of each of the element of the Q and make [tex]Q_n(1)=1[/tex]!

Then both [tex]P_n(x) & Q_n(x)[/tex] are bounded in [-1,1].

Question is why not?? They just keep making C2=0 like what you showed

Pn(x) is a polynomial of degree n. It does make sense to initialise Pn(1)=1.
But Qn(x) is an infinite series and also undefined at x=-1, 1. So it does't make sense Qn(1) = something.

matematikawan said:
Pn(x) is a polynomial of degree n. It does make sense to initialise Pn(1)=1.
But Qn(x) is an infinite series and also undefined at x=-1, 1. So it does't make sense Qn(1) = something.

You mean there is no way to make Q converge to a finite number when x=1? I guess it make sense because no matter how small you make the coefficients, if you have infinite number of terms, still it is unbounded. Am I correct?

Still, what is so important about [-1,1]? Why can't people just work with (-1,1) so both P and Q can be used?

1. What is a Legendre differential equation?

A Legendre differential equation is a second-order ordinary differential equation that involves a function and its derivatives. It is named after the French mathematician Adrien-Marie Legendre and is commonly used in physics and engineering to model various physical phenomena.

2. What is the general form of a Legendre differential equation?

The general form of a Legendre differential equation is (1-x2)y'' - 2xy' + n(n+1)y = 0, where n is a constant and y is the unknown function.

3. What are the solutions to a Legendre differential equation?

The solutions to a Legendre differential equation are known as Legendre polynomials, denoted by Pn(x). These polynomials have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering, such as in solving Laplace's equation and in spherical harmonics.

4. How do you solve a Legendre differential equation?

The general method for solving a Legendre differential equation is to first transform it into a simpler form, such as by using the power series method. Then, the solution can be expressed as a linear combination of Legendre polynomials. The coefficients of the polynomials can be determined by applying boundary or initial conditions.

5. What are some real-world applications of Legendre differential equations?

Legendre differential equations have many applications in physics and engineering, such as in the study of potential fields, heat transfer, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in analyzing data, such as in the Least Squares method for fitting curves to data points.