1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Leidenfrost effect at thermodynamic equilibrium

1. Mar 24, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A spherical drop of a pure substance floats on top of the vapor of the same substance so the system vapor+drop is isolated. The drop has a surface tension σ. Show that at the thermodynamic equilibrium PL≠PV and calculate the difference.

2. Relevant equations
    Three laws of thermodynamics

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved this one already but I would like to check my result. Following the three laws of thermodynamics and maximizing the entropy at the equilibrium yadda yadda yadda I got PL-PV=3σ/a, where a is the radius of the drop. The dimension of the result seems correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2017 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is there a question here? If the question is "Am I right?", you have to supply the "yadda, yadda, yadda" so that someone can check your work and point out possible mistakes.

4. Mar 24, 2017 #3
    Ok...
    For σ=0, Thermodynamic equilibrium says: PL=PV, but if we add a work therm for the liquid -σdS=-3σdV/a we get PL-PV=3σ/a.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted