Surface tension in terms of temperature and concentration of an added substance

In summary: For the surface phase, you need to know the following:1) The surface tension as a function of the temperature and concentration of the added substance2) The surface tension as a function of the temperature and concentration of the substance A alone3) The surface tension as a function of the temperature and concentration of the substance A and surfactant togetherc) For the system in constant temperature, the surface tension will be the same for all three cases.
Prestohdus
Hi! Here's a tricky thermodynamics problem, I hope you can help with it.

1. Homework Statement

The boundary between two different materials can be divided into two different kind of phases: bulk phases and surface phases. For example, let's consider a boundary between water and air. We can divide the boundary into two phases: a liquid phase (v) and a surface phase (σ). You can then write Euler's equation for each phase:

Uv(S, V, ni) = TS – pV + ∑μiniv
and
Uσ(S, A, ni) = TS + γA + ∑μiniσ

where γ is the surface tension, A is the area of the boundary surface, μi is the chemical potential of component i, and niv and niσ are the molar amounts of component i in the liquid phase and surface phase, respectively.

a) Write the Gibbs–Duhem equations for both the liquid and the surface phase.
b) Write the surface tension as a function of the temperature and concentration of an added substance A.
c) Analyze the previous result: what happens to the surface tension when a surfactant is added to the system in constant temperature?

Additionally, we can assume that the chemical potential of water stays almost constant when substance A is added. Also, the chemical potential of substance A is

μA = μA° + RTln(xA),

where μA° is a constant and xA is the mole fraction of substance A such that xA = nA / (nA + n), where nA is the molar amount of substance A added and n is the rest of the matter.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) This part I think I understand, and confirmed from Wikipedia. For the liquid phase:

∑nivμi = -SdT + Vdp

and for the surface phase:

∑niσμi = -SdT – Adγ

b) Here I am stuck. How can I find the surface tension as a function of the concentration and temperature of the added substance? I assume the function is something like γ = γ0 + [?], where γ0 is the original surface tension before adding anything. Other than that, I don't know. Where do I even get concentration from?

Thanks very much for help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Prestohdus said:
Hi! Here's a tricky thermodynamics problem, I hope you can help with it.

1. Homework Statement

The boundary between two different materials can be divided into two different kind of phases: bulk phases and surface phases. For example, let's consider a boundary between water and air. We can divide the boundary into two phases: a liquid phase (v) and a surface phase (σ). You can then write Euler's equation for each phase:

Uv(S, V, ni) = TS – pV + ∑μiniv
and
Uσ(S, A, ni) = TS + γA + ∑μiniσ

where γ is the surface tension, A is the area of the boundary surface, μi is the chemical potential of component i, and niv and niσ are the molar amounts of component i in the liquid phase and surface phase, respectively.

a) Write the Gibbs–Duhem equations for both the liquid and the surface phase.
b) Write the surface tension as a function of the temperature and concentration of an added substance A.
c) Analyze the previous result: what happens to the surface tension when a surfactant is added to the system in constant temperature?

Additionally, we can assume that the chemical potential of water stays almost constant when substance A is added. Also, the chemical potential of substance A is

μA = μA° + RTln(xA),

where μA° is a constant and xA is the mole fraction of substance A such that xA = nA / (nA + n), where nA is the molar amount of substance A added and n is the rest of the matter.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) This part I think I understand, and confirmed from Wikipedia. For the liquid phase:

∑nivμi = -SdT + Vdp

and for the surface phase:

∑niσμi = -SdT – Adγ
These Gibbs Duhem equations should have ##d\mu \ 's##, not ##\mu##'s

Thank you! I had those but wrote incorrectly here.

1. What is surface tension?

Surface tension is the force that causes the surface of a liquid to behave like a thin, elastic sheet. It is the result of the cohesive forces between molecules on the surface of the liquid.

2. How does temperature affect surface tension?

As temperature increases, the surface tension of a liquid decreases. This is because as the temperature rises, the molecules on the surface of the liquid gain more energy and become more agitated, making it easier for them to overcome the cohesive forces that create surface tension.

3. What is the relationship between concentration of an added substance and surface tension?

The concentration of an added substance can affect the surface tension of a liquid. For example, adding a surfactant (a substance that lowers surface tension) to water can decrease its surface tension. This is because the surfactant molecules disrupt the cohesive forces between water molecules on the surface.

4. How does surface tension change with the addition of different substances?

The effect of different substances on surface tension can vary. Some substances, like surfactants, decrease surface tension, while others, such as certain polymers, can increase it. The specific properties of the added substance will determine its effect on surface tension.

5. Can surface tension be measured?

Yes, surface tension can be measured using a variety of methods, such as the drop weight method or the Wilhelmy plate method. These methods involve measuring the force needed to break the surface tension of a liquid, which can then be used to calculate its surface tension.