Length of sides of right triangle with 1 angle and 1 side

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Dophs
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello so I'm a high school student and I came up with this question and I wanted to know if this was possible to do?

View attachment 8044

So I tried to research and find a way to find the length of DC and I couldn't find anything, so I am here to ask for help, is this possible? I figured it would go in the trigonometry section, if not please tell me what sub-forum is belongs in.

So obviously I know the left, right triangle is a 30,60,90 and the height of the right, right triangle is 6 and obviously it has a 90 degree angle. I couldn't think of anyway to get any further due to the not drawn to scale part due to . BC could be 100, 4, 67, 21, so the angles would change of that triangle, but 6 is the height of both.
 
Attachments
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 180
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Dophs said:
Hello so I'm a high school student and I came up with this question and I wanted to know if this was possible to do?
So I tried to research and find a way to find the length of DC and I couldn't find anything, so I am here to ask for help, is this possible? I figured it would go in the trigonometry section, if not please tell me what sub-forum is belongs in.

So obviously I know the left, right triangle is a 30,60,90 and the height of the right, right triangle is 6 and obviously it has a 90 degree angle. I couldn't think of anyway to get any further due to the not drawn to scale part due to . BC could be 100, 4, 67, 21, so the angles would change of that triangle, but 6 is the height of both.
You are right... BC can be any length we like unless we have more information, such as AD = AC.

-Dan