Find length of sides of quadrilateral; write equation

• Thread starter David Dudek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Length
In summary: In fact, the only thing that is guaranteed is that each of the expressions will give you a different perimeter. Thanks for pointing that out.
David Dudek

Homework Statement

I have a seemingly simple question. I have a quadrilateral with sides (starting with the left side, moving clockwise):(7-x), (x+2), (2x-1), (x-3).

a) write an equation for the perimeter and simplify: that's easy, and done. This ends up as 3x+5

b) Find the length of all sides. Using the result from above, 3x+5 = -5/3, and would give one of the sides a -negative answer. I assume one cannot have a negative length?

Homework Equations

P = (7-x)+(x+2)+(2x-1)+(x-3)
=3x+5

x = -5/3?

The Attempt at a Solution

If x=-5/3, then;
P=(7-5/3)+(5/3+2)+(2x5/3-1)+(5/3-3)
=5 1/3 + 3 2/3 + 21/3 + -1 1/3

Physics news on Phys.org
David Dudek said:

Homework Statement

I have a seemingly simple question. I have a quadrilateral with sides (starting with the left side, moving clockwise):(7-x), (x+2), (2x-1), (x-3).

a) write an equation for the perimeter and simplify: that's easy, and done. This ends up as 3x+5

That isn't an equation of anything. Nothing you have written so far is an equation because equations have an = sign and two sides.

b) Find the length of all sides. Using the result from above, 3x+5 = -5/3, and would give one of the sides a -negative answer. I assume one cannot have a negative length?

Homework Equations

P = (7-x)+(x+2)+(2x-1)+(x-3)
=3x+5

x = -5/3?

The Attempt at a Solution

If x=-5/3, then;
P=(7-5/3)+(5/3+2)+(2x5/3-1)+(5/3-3)
=5 1/3 + 3 2/3 + 21/3 + -1 1/3

I can't make sense of any of that. You need to find where the sides intersect (the vertices) and use the distance formula to calculate the perimeter.

Hi,

thanks for taking the time to respond.

I have spent a couple of days looking at this problem and have just discovered that a vital bit of information was there the whole time: the perimeter is 23cm!

Problem solved.

Thanks

David Dudek said:

Homework Statement

David Dudek said:
I have spent a couple of days looking at this problem and have just discovered that a vital bit of information was there the whole time: the perimeter is 23cm!

Problem solved.

Thanks

Really?? That's pretty amazing. Given that the expressions above all should have "y =" on their left sides, those lines don't even form a quadrilateral.

What is a quadrilateral?

A quadrilateral is a four-sided polygon with four angles.

What is the equation for finding the length of the sides of a quadrilateral?

The equation for finding the length of the sides of a quadrilateral is:
s1 + s2 + s3 + s4 = perimeter

What information do I need to find the length of the sides of a quadrilateral?

You will need the measurements of all four sides of the quadrilateral and the perimeter of the shape.

Can I use any shape to find the length of the sides of a quadrilateral?

No, the shape must have four sides and four angles to be considered a quadrilateral.

What units should I use when finding the length of the sides of a quadrilateral?

The units used for the length of the sides and perimeter should be consistent, such as all in inches or all in centimeters.