Find length of sides of quadrilateral; write equation

  • Thread starter Thread starter David Dudek
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Length
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
David Dudek
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I have a seemingly simple question. I have a quadrilateral with sides (starting with the left side, moving clockwise):(7-x), (x+2), (2x-1), (x-3).

a) write an equation for the perimeter and simplify: that's easy, and done. This ends up as 3x+5

b) Find the length of all sides. Using the result from above, 3x+5 = -5/3, and would give one of the sides a -negative answer. I assume one cannot have a negative length?


Homework Equations



P = (7-x)+(x+2)+(2x-1)+(x-3)
=3x+5

x = -5/3?

The Attempt at a Solution



If x=-5/3, then;
P=(7-5/3)+(5/3+2)+(2x5/3-1)+(5/3-3)
=5 1/3 + 3 2/3 + 21/3 + -1 1/3
 
Physics news on Phys.org
David Dudek said:

Homework Statement



I have a seemingly simple question. I have a quadrilateral with sides (starting with the left side, moving clockwise):(7-x), (x+2), (2x-1), (x-3).

a) write an equation for the perimeter and simplify: that's easy, and done. This ends up as 3x+5

That isn't an equation of anything. Nothing you have written so far is an equation because equations have an = sign and two sides.

b) Find the length of all sides. Using the result from above, 3x+5 = -5/3, and would give one of the sides a -negative answer. I assume one cannot have a negative length?


Homework Equations



P = (7-x)+(x+2)+(2x-1)+(x-3)
=3x+5

x = -5/3?

The Attempt at a Solution



If x=-5/3, then;
P=(7-5/3)+(5/3+2)+(2x5/3-1)+(5/3-3)
=5 1/3 + 3 2/3 + 21/3 + -1 1/3

I can't make sense of any of that. You need to find where the sides intersect (the vertices) and use the distance formula to calculate the perimeter.
 
Hi,

thanks for taking the time to respond.

I have spent a couple of days looking at this problem and have just discovered that a vital bit of information was there the whole time: the perimeter is 23cm!

Problem solved.

Thanks
 
David Dudek said:

Homework Statement



I have a seemingly simple question. I have a quadrilateral with sides (starting with the left side, moving clockwise):(7-x), (x+2), (2x-1), (x-3).

David Dudek said:
I have spent a couple of days looking at this problem and have just discovered that a vital bit of information was there the whole time: the perimeter is 23cm!

Problem solved.

Thanks

Really?? That's pretty amazing. Given that the expressions above all should have "y =" on their left sides, those lines don't even form a quadrilateral.