1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find length of sides of quadrilateral; write equation

1. Oct 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a seemingly simple question. I have a quadrilateral with sides (starting with the left side, moving clockwise):(7-x), (x+2), (2x-1), (x-3).

a) write an equation for the perimeter and simplify: that's easy, and done. This ends up as 3x+5

b) Find the length of all sides. Using the result from above, 3x+5 = -5/3, and would give one of the sides a -negative answer. I assume one cannot have a negative length?

2. Relevant equations

P = (7-x)+(x+2)+(2x-1)+(x-3)
    =3x+5

x = -5/3?

3. The attempt at a solution

If x=-5/3, then;
    P=(7-5/3)+(5/3+2)+(2x5/3-1)+(5/3-3)
    =5 1/3 + 3 2/3 + 21/3 + -1 1/3

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That isn't an equation of anything. Nothing you have written so far is an equation because equations have an = sign and two sides.

I can't make sense of any of that. You need to find where the sides intersect (the vertices) and use the distance formula to calculate the perimeter.

4. Oct 15, 2012 #3
    Hi,

thanks for taking the time to respond.

I have spent a couple of days looking at this problem and have just discovered that a vital bit of information was there the whole time: the perimeter is 23cm!

Problem solved.

Thanks

5. Oct 15, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Really?? That's pretty amazing. Given that the expressions above all should have "y =" on their left sides, those lines don't even form a quadrilateral.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook