Length on vibrating section of violin

In summary: Good catch.In summary, we have a Stradivarius violin with a wavelength of 39.1 cm and a speed of sound of 344 m/s. The string has a linear density of 0.560 g/m and a tension of 160 N. Using the equations f=c/wavelength and f=sqrt(F/(m/L))/(2L), we can calculate the frequency to be 879 Hz. However, when solving for the length of the vibrating section of the string using algebra, there was an arithmetic error due to dividing the linear density by L. The correct length is 10.81 m.
chicagobears34

Homework Statement

A particularly beautiful note reaching your ear from a rare Stradivarius violin has a wavelength of 39.1 cm. The room is slightly warm, so the speed of sound is 344 m/s.

If the string's linear density is 0.560g/m and the tension is 160N , how long is the vibrating section of the violin string?

Homework Equations

f=c/wavelength
f=sqrt(F/(m/L))/(2L)

The Attempt at a Solution

frequency = (344m/s) /(.391m) = 879Hz
879=sqrt(160/(.000560/L))/(2L)
i converted .560g/m to .000560kg/m because force is in Newtons
did algebra and got that length is 10.81m, which is wrong.
Not sure what I did wrong though.

Physics news on Phys.org
chicagobears34 said:
879=sqrt(160/(.000560/L))/(2L)
i converted .560g/m to .000560kg/m because force is in Newtons
did algebra and got that length is 10.81m, which is wrong.
Not sure what I did wrong though.
Looks like an arithmetic error. Can't tell what you did wrong if you don't post all your work.

You were given the linear density of the string, not its entire mass. So no need to divide it by L in your velocity expression.

Likes 1 person
yes i was given the linear density, so I shouldn't have done m/L
that's what I what was doing wrong.
Thanks

chicagobears34 said:
yes i was given the linear density, so I shouldn't have done m/L
that's what I what was doing wrong.
Thanks
Rats - I noticed that but dismissed it as a typo.

What is the length on the vibrating section of a violin?

The length of the vibrating section of a violin is typically between 32 and 34 centimeters. This measurement is taken from the bridge to the nut, not including the scroll.

Why is the length on the vibrating section important?

The length on the vibrating section of a violin is important because it affects the instrument's sound and playability. A shorter length typically produces a brighter, more focused sound while a longer length produces a warmer, more mellow sound.

How is the length on the vibrating section of a violin determined?

The length on the vibrating section of a violin is determined by the placement of the bridge, which is typically placed about 1/6th of the total length from the nut. The length can also be adjusted by moving the bridge slightly towards the fingerboard for a shorter length or towards the tailpiece for a longer length.

Can the length on the vibrating section of a violin be changed?

Yes, the length on the vibrating section of a violin can be changed by adjusting the position of the bridge. This is often done by a professional luthier to improve the sound or playability of the instrument.

How does the length on the vibrating section of a violin affect the strings?

The length on the vibrating section of a violin affects the tension and pitch of the strings. A shorter length increases the tension and raises the pitch, while a longer length decreases the tension and lowers the pitch. This is why the length is adjusted when tuning a violin.