1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Level of Advance Calculus by Woods

1. Jul 7, 2015 #1
    I recently purchased Advance Calculus by Woods. Reading, "Surely you're Joking Mr. Feynman,' interested me about the unorthodox techniques Feynman learned by reading Woods.

I'm a math major and my mathematics is pretty limited at this point. By the end of fall semester I should have learned Calculus 3 (MultiVariable) and ODE's. I do have Linear Algebra under my belt and find books like Friedberg, Keisler, Axler, and Lang readable.

I won't necessarily use Woods until after May or June of next year. I purchased it because I saw prices heading in the 200 hundred range and found it for a steal at 70 dollars shipped.

After my fall semester I plan to work through either Apostle or Spivak ( own both) and How To Prove It. If time permits I was thinking about going over some Polya books my teacher gave me, during the fall semester. This is in preparation for Analysis when I enter into the University. My education has been lacking but I have been able to learn a few things on my own out of self interest. I like to learn and am willing to work for it.

What level is Advance Calculus by Woods pitched at? What are the requirements? Did I waste $70 dollars or is the books reputation well earned.

Does anyone know of a book that explains epsilon-delta? My understanding of epsilon-delta is superficial one section in Stewart Calculus.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2015 #2

verty

Homework Helper

I think it can't possible cover all the topics in the table of contents very deeply:

There are many epsilon-delta books. One of the cheapest is Friedman: Advanced Calculus.

4. Jul 8, 2015 #3
    Thank you Verty.

I also own copy of Spivak Calculus 3rd ed and Apostol 1st ed. Which one would you say would be better, in order to prepare, for a course of alaysis i.e. Baby Rudin?

What supplementary material would you say Spivak and Apostol require?

5. Jul 8, 2015 #4

verty

Homework Helper

I wouldn't say which one is better. You have them, pick one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted