Lewis H Ryder: Cartesian to Polar Coord Transformations

In summary, the conversation discusses the transformation between cartesian and polar coordinates using Lewis Ryder's solution. The speaker initially expresses confusion over a specific line in the solution, but the other person reassures them that they may be overthinking it. They also point out a sign typo in the solution and explain the definition of partial derivatives. The conversation ends with the speaker acknowledging their mistake and thanking the other person for their help.
Ayoub Tamin
TL;DR Summary
I had a problem understanding an example in the page 60-61 In Lewis's Ryder's Book
The example is about the transformation between the cartesian coordinates and polar coordinates using the definition
Sans titre.png

In lewis Ryder's solution, I got confused in this specific line
Sans titre1.png

I really can't see how is that straightforward to find?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm reasonably sure you're overthinking this (although there is a sign typo in his definition of ##r##: his "##-1/2##" exponent should be "##1/2##").

Your boxed section is just the definition of partial derivative. I.e., ##\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}## means the derivative of ##x## by ##r##, with ##\theta## treated as a constant. So... $$\frac{\partial x}{\partial r} ~=~ \frac{\partial (r \cos\theta)}{\partial r} ~=~ \cos\theta \, \frac{dr}{dr} ~=~ \cos\theta ~,$$and $$\frac{\partial r}{\partial x} ~=~ \frac{\partial (x^2+y^2)^{1/2}}{\partial x} ~=~ \frac{1}{2} (x^2+y^2)^{-1/2} (2x) ~=~ x/r ~=~ \dots$$(Can you complete the last step?)

• Love
Likes Ayoub Tamin
strangerep said:
I'm reasonably sure you're overthinking this (although there is a sign typo in his definition of ##r##: his "##-1/2##" exponent should be "##1/2##").

Your boxed section is just the definition of partial derivative. I.e., ##\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}## means the derivative of ##x## by ##r##, with ##\theta## treated as a constant. So... $$\frac{\partial x}{\partial r} ~=~ \frac{\partial (r \cos\theta)}{\partial r} ~=~ \cos\theta \, \frac{dr}{dr} ~=~ \cos\theta ~,$$and $$\frac{\partial r}{\partial x} ~=~ \frac{\partial (x^2+y^2)^{1/2}}{\partial x} ~=~ \frac{1}{2} (x^2+y^2)^{-1/2} (2x) ~=~ x/r ~=~ \dots$$(Can you complete the last step?)
Oh you are absolutely righ, I overthinked that haha and yes i can complete the last step ^^ thanks for your help I appreciate it

1. What are Cartesian coordinates?

Cartesian coordinates are a system for representing points in a two-dimensional or three-dimensional space. They use a horizontal x-axis and a vertical y-axis to describe the location of a point using two numbers (x, y).

2. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a system for representing points in a two-dimensional space. They use a distance from the origin (r) and an angle from the positive x-axis (θ) to describe the location of a point using two numbers (r, θ).

3. How do you convert from Cartesian to polar coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian to polar coordinates, you can use the following formulas:
r = √(x² + y²)
θ = tan⁻¹(y/x)

4. How do you convert from polar to Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from polar to Cartesian coordinates, you can use the following formulas:
x = r * cos(θ)
y = r * sin(θ)

5. What is the significance of Cartesian to polar coordinate transformations?

Cartesian to polar coordinate transformations are important in mathematics and science because they allow us to describe and analyze points in different coordinate systems. This can be useful in solving problems involving geometry, physics, and engineering, among others.