Schwarzschild in Cartesian: Tricks for Transformation

In summary: Schwarzschild surface.No. ##R = x^2 + y^2 + z^2## is part of the coordinate transformation. But ##R## (capital R) is not the same as ##r## (lower case r). The latter... is the radius of the Schwarzschild surface.
epovo
TL;DR Summary
What is the appropriate coordinate change?
According to Schutz, the line element for large r in Schwarzschild is
$$ ds^2 \approx - ( 1 - \frac {2M} {r}) dt^2 + (1 + \frac {2M} {r}) dr^2 + r^2 d\Omega^2 $$
and one can find coordinates (x, y, z) such that this becomes
$$ ds^2 \approx - ( 1 - \frac {2M} {R}) dt^2 + (1 + \frac {2M} {R}) (dx^2+dy^2+dz^2) $$
where ## R \equiv (x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^{1/2} ##

This makes sense, as it is the same as the weak field metric with ## \phi = -M/r ## (Newtonian gravitational field).
However, if I try to go from the first to the second using the usual spherical to Cartesian transformation, I get something different. Am I missing a trick here?

Physics news on Phys.org
epovo said:
However, if I try to go from the first to the second using the usual spherical to Cartesian transformation, I get something different. Am I missing a trick here?
I recall I had this same confusion when I was learning GR!

Why by the pendulous yarbles of Zeus would you want to take a system with spherical symmetry and work it in rectangular coordinates?

Likes PhDeezNutz and jbriggs444
Vanadium 50 said:
Why by the pendulous yarbles of Zeus would you want to take a system with spherical symmetry and work it in rectangular coordinates?
I don't have any special interest, I was just following Schutz and intrigued by his phrasing "One can find coordinates in which..." rather than the more natural "In Cartesian we have...". So just applied the transformation and I got an extra term that refuses to go away:

$$ ds^2 \approx - ( 1 - \frac {2M} {R}) dt^2 + (1 + \frac {2M} {R}) (dx^2+dy^2+dz^2) -2RM d\Omega^2 $$

epovo said:
I don't have any special interest, I was just following Schutz and intrigued by his phrasing "One can find coordinates in which..." rather than the more natural "In Cartesian we have...". So just applied the transformation and I got an extra term that refuses to go away:

$$ ds^2 \approx - ( 1 - \frac {2M} {R}) dt^2 + (1 + \frac {2M} {R}) (dx^2+dy^2+dz^2) -2RM d\Omega^2 $$
I think the problem is that ##r \ne R##. You need to take ##R## as some function of ##r##. This will be buried in my notes somewhere.

PeroK said:
I think the problem is that ##r \ne R##. You need to take ##R## as some function of ##r##. This will be buried in my notes somewhere.
Well, Schutz says explicitly that ## R \equiv (x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^{1/2} ##

epovo said:
Well, Schutz says explicitly that ## R \equiv (x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^{1/2} ##
First, all that means is what it says. That the metric involves coordinates ##t, x, y, z## with ##R## defined as above to simplify the terms in the denominators.

Second, there is no sense in which ##r^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2##.

But I thought ## r^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2 ## is part of the coordinate transformation! :frown:

epovo said:
But I thought ## r^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2 ## is part of the coordinate transformation! :frown:
That was your chosen coordinate transformation. It was the wrong one. Which is what I'm trying to point out!

PeroK said:
That was your chosen coordinate transformation. It was the wrong one. Which is what I'm trying to point out!
I see! But then, which is the right one, that would give me the result I am after???

epovo said:
I see! But then, which is the right one, that would give me the result I am after???
That's the question. What I would do is look at ##x, y, z## with their usual spherical definitions and compare them to ##r## and ##R##. I think that's how I figured it out.

PeroK said:
That's the question. What I would do is look at ##x, y, z## with their usual spherical definitions and compare them to ##r## and ##R##. I think that's how I figured it out.
Thank you for the tip. I will try some more

Vanadium 50 said:
A fair question, but in this case probably to linearise the scwarzschild metric (taking only first order in 2M/r) to identify the components of the linearised metric, ##h_{00}## = 2##\phi##/##c^2## and ##h_{ij}## = 2##\phi## ##\delta_{ij}##/##c^2##. (As opposed to doing it by solving the linearised field equations).

Likes vanhees71 and PeroK
Note that you still have x, y and z's buried in the Ω.

epovo said:
No. ##R = x^2 + y^2 + z^2## is part of the coordinate transformation. But ##R## (capital R) is not the same as ##r## (lower case r). The latter is the "areal radius", i.e., ##r = \sqrt{A / 4 \pi}##, where ##A## is the surface area of a 2-sphere at ##r##. In flat spacetime, we would indeed have that ##r = R##; but you are not asking about flat spacetime.

Likes vanhees71
Let's do the transformation explicitly. We start with the usual "Schwarzschild coordinates":
$$\mathrm{d} s^2=\left (1-\frac{2m}{r} \right) \mathrm{d} t^2 -\frac{1}{1-2m/r)} \mathrm{d} r^2 + r^2 \underbrace{(\mathrm{d} \vartheta^2 + \sin^2 \vartheta \mathrm{d} \varphi^2)}_{\mathrm{d} \Omega^2},$$
where ##m=GM/c^2=r_{\text{S}}/2##.We want to introduce a new radial coordinate, ##R##, such that the spatial part is
$$\propto \mathrm{d} \vec{x}^2 = \mathrm{d} R^2 + R^2 (\mathrm{d} \vartheta^2 + \sin^2 \vartheta \mathrm{d} \varphi^2).$$
The spatial part of the line element is
$$\mathrm{d} \sigma^2 = \frac{1}{1-2m/r} \mathrm{d} r^2 + r^2 \mathrm{d}\Omega^2 = \frac{1}{2-2m/r} r^{\prime 2} \mathrm{d} R^2 + \frac{r^2}{R^2} R^2 \mathrm{d} \Omega^2.$$
The prime denotes the derivative wrt. the new radial coordinate, ##R##.

To get "isotropic coordinates" we thus want
$$\frac{r^{\prime 2}}{1-2m/r} = \frac{r^2}{R^2}.$$
This ODE is easily solved by separation, leading to [EDIT: Corrected typo, the factor of 2 on the left-hand side in view of #18]
$$\frac{2R}{m} =\frac{r-m}{m} + \sqrt{\frac{r(r-2m)}{m^2}}$$
or
$$r=R [1+m/(2R)]^2.$$
Plugging all this into the line element indeed leads to what's given in Wikipedia
$$\mathrm{d} s^2 = \left (\frac{1-m/(2R)}{1+m/(2R)} \right )^2 \mathrm{d} t^2 - [1-m/(2R)]^4 (\mathrm{d} R^2 +R^2 \mathrm{d} \vartheta^2 + R^2 \sin^2 \vartheta \mathrm{d} \varphi^2],$$
i.e., introducing the usual "Cartesian coordinates"
$$\vec{x}=R \begin{pmatrix}\cos \varphi \sin \vartheta \\ \sin \varphi \sin \vartheta \\ \cos \vartheta \end{pmatrix},$$
i.e.,
$$\mathrm{d} s^2= \left (\frac{1-m/(2R)}{1+m/(2R)} \right )^2 \mathrm{d} t^2 - [1-m/(2R)]^4 \mathrm{d} \vec{x}^2.$$
Note that the Schwarzschild Radius is ##r_S=2m##.

The advantage of these coordinates is the same advantage that have Cartesian coordinates over spherical coordinates, i.e., the invariance under the full rotation group ##\vec{x} \rightarrow \hat{R} \vec{x}## with ##\hat{R} \in \mathrm{SO}(3)## is manifest, while in spherical coordinates it's not, because you distinguish the polar axis as a "preferred direction".

Last edited:
Likes epovo
vanhees71 said:
Let's do the transformation explicitly. We start with the usual "Schwarzschild coordinates":
$$\mathrm{d} s^2=\left (1-\frac{2m}{r} \right) \mathrm{d} t^2 -\frac{1}{1-2m/r)} \mathrm{d} r^2 + r^2 \underbrace{(\mathrm{d} \vartheta^2 + \sin^2 \vartheta \mathrm{d} \varphi^2)}_{\mathrm{d} \Omega^2},$$
where ##m=GM/c^2=r_{\text{S}}/2##.We want to introduce a new radial coordinate, ##R##, such that the spatial part is
$$\propto \mathrm{d} \vec{x}^2 = \mathrm{d} R^2 + R^2 (\mathrm{d} \vartheta^2 + \sin^2 \vartheta \mathrm{d} \varphi^2).$$
The spatial part of the line element is
$$\mathrm{d} \sigma^2 = \frac{1}{1-2m/r} \mathrm{d} r^2 + r^2 \mathrm{d}\Omega^2 = \frac{1}{2-2m/r} r^{\prime 2} \mathrm{d} R^2 + \frac{r^2}{R^2} R^2 \mathrm{d} \Omega^2.$$
The prime denotes the derivative wrt. the new radial coordinate, ##R##.

To get "isotropic coordinates" we thus want
$$\frac{r^{\prime 2}}{1-2m/r} = \frac{r^2}{R^2}.$$
This ODE is easily solved by separation, leading to
$$\frac{R}{m} =\frac{r-m}{m} + \sqrt{\frac{r(r-2m)}{m^2}}$$
or
$$r=R [1+m/(2R)]^2.$$
Plugging all this into the line element indeed leads to what's given in Wikipedia
$$\mathrm{d} s^2 = \left (\frac{1-m/(2R)}{1+m/(2R)} \right )^2 \mathrm{d} t^2 - [1-m/(2R)]^4 (\mathrm{d} R^2 +R^2 \mathrm{d} \vartheta^2 + R^2 \sin^2 \vartheta \mathrm{d} \varphi^2],$$
i.e., introducing the usual "Cartesian coordinates"
$$\vec{x}=R \begin{pmatrix}\cos \varphi \sin \vartheta \\ \sin \varphi \sin \vartheta \\ \cos \vartheta \end{pmatrix},$$
i.e.,
$$\mathrm{d} s^2= \left (\frac{1-m/(2R)}{1+m/(2R)} \right )^2 \mathrm{d} t^2 - [1-m/(2R)]^4 \mathrm{d} \vec{x}^2.$$
Note that the Schwarzschild Radius is ##r_S=2m##.

The advantage of these coordinates is the same advantage that have Cartesian coordinates over spherical coordinates, i.e., the invariance under the full rotation group ##\vec{x} \rightarrow \hat{R} \vec{x}## with ##\hat{R} \in \mathrm{SO}(3)## is manifest, while in spherical coordinates it's not, because you distinguish the polar axis as a "preferred direction".
Thank you, @vanhees71.
I would have never figured this out myself.
I have followed your derivation and only found that the initial conditions of the ODE demand a factor of 2 here:
$$ 2\frac{R}{m} =\frac{r-m}{m} + \sqrt{\frac{r(r-2m)}{m^2}}$$
That is from demanding that for large r, ##R \approx r ##
otherwise it doesn't work.

Likes PeroK and vanhees71
You are right. That was a typo. I'll correct it in the OP.

1. What is the Schwarzschild in Cartesian transformation?

The Schwarzschild in Cartesian transformation is a mathematical tool used in general relativity to transform coordinates in a Schwarzschild spacetime to Cartesian coordinates. It allows us to describe the curvature of space and time around a spherically symmetric mass, such as a black hole.

2. Why is the Schwarzschild in Cartesian transformation useful?

This transformation is useful because it simplifies the equations used to describe the curvature of space and time. It also allows us to easily compare the behavior of objects in a Schwarzschild spacetime to the behavior of objects in a flat, Euclidean spacetime.

3. What are some tricks for performing the Schwarzschild in Cartesian transformation?

One trick is to use the substitution u = 1/r, which simplifies the equations and makes it easier to solve for the Cartesian coordinates. Another trick is to use the inverse tangent function to calculate the angle component of the transformation.

4. Can the Schwarzschild in Cartesian transformation be applied to any spherically symmetric mass?

Yes, the transformation can be applied to any spherically symmetric mass, not just black holes. It can also be used to describe the curvature of space and time around planets, stars, and other massive objects.

5. Are there any limitations to the Schwarzschild in Cartesian transformation?

One limitation is that it only applies to spherically symmetric masses. It also does not take into account the effects of rotation or other sources of gravity, such as multiple masses. It is a simplified model that is useful for understanding the behavior of objects in the presence of a single massive object.