Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Liberal Media Attempting to Understand Conservatives

1. Jul 6, 2010 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

This is an interesting/entertaining op-ed about how the media attempts to deal with its bias. The tone of the writing of this op-ed is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but what is interesting is how frankly the bias is acknowledged by the NYT in their comment on their attempts to deal with it:
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/forum/2010-07-06-column06_ST_N.htm

They treated it as trivially self-evident: they don't need someone to cover a 'liberal beat' because they are already covering it as their primary focus.

Apparently, having someone assigned to cover the "conservative beat" is not unusual, as the main subject of the article is a "conservative beat" reporter for another paper who was relieved of his post due to inflammatory anti-conservative comments. Sounds like the "conservative beat" isn't a post reporters take to with much enthusiasm.

And the discrepancy sometimes comes through in the reporting:
    A responsible reporter must also examine the corollary of such an issue: why aren't 'left-wing natives upset'? That's key to understanding why they missed the story in the first place and for trying to prevent it from happening in the future. The answer is obvious, but probably not comfortable for a liberal press outlet to think about: they missed the story because they are so biased that left-wing crackpottery by a democratic politician didn't raise a red flag for them. Uncomfortable or not, it is something they must think about if they are sincere in their effort to provide balanced coverage. Having someone on the "conservative beat" only gets them halfway.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2010 #2
    Liberal Bias: Olberman and Matthews.

I rest my case.

4. Jul 7, 2010 #3

DavidSnider

Gold Member

Most 'conservative beat' stories are crackpot non-sense: FEMA Camps, The 'War on Christmas', government taking your guns, affirmative action taking your job, welfare queens wasting your taxes, gays making the military ineffective, religious apologetics.

There is soooo much right wing crack pottery that the few liberal examples they find get lost in the mix.

5. Jul 7, 2010 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What case is that? It's not very obvious what your point is or how it relates to the OP.

6. Jul 7, 2010 #5
    Re-2IB6llYw[/youtube] :biggrin: Listen to Matthews argument.

7. Jul 7, 2010 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I listened to it. And it's rubbish (IMO). But I still fail to see the exact point you are making. However, in the interest of not deviating any further from the case made in the OP, I'd rather leave things as they stand than probe any further.

8. Jul 7, 2010 #7
    See Russ' citation:

and then watch Matthews argument. Does he do that? No. He starts talking about the costs of war with Iraq. His bias is to the point of obnoxious!

Scarborough is 'that guy' in the article.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  9. Jul 7, 2010 #8

russ_watters

Perhaps you have that backwards: if the conservative beat reporters see their job as being to look for conservative crackpottery and highlight it (rather than to even-handedly report and analyze conservative positions), while the rest of the reporters ignore liberal crackpottery (example given above), it makes it look like there is a lot more conservative than liberal crackpottery.

The media is so liberal it treats crackpot liberal positions/stories as if they are mainstream.

10. Jul 7, 2010 #9
    Can you give an example of a "crackpot liberal position" that's taken as mainstream? Examples have already been provided of crackpot conservative positions being taken as mainstream by Fox.

11. Jul 7, 2010 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, what about speculations that a certain Times Square would-be-bomber became so out of desperation that he couldn't pay his mortgage?

What sort of media outlets emitted this type of story?

Hm?
    A few tips:
    Cnn:
    Huffington Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/04/faisal-shahzad-house-in-f_n_562562.html [Broken]
    Ezra Klein, Washington Post:
    http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezra-klein/2010/05/the_economic_crisis_meets_terr.html
    New York Times:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/06/nyregion/06profile.html?_r=1
    The Economist:
    http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2010/05/times_square_bomber

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  12. Jul 7, 2010 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So even if there was a huge financial upheaval in someone's life around the same time period as a radicalization you would prefer that news media outlets pay no attention to any possible connections? And "couldn't pay his mortgage" is a bit of an understatement of a situation where someone (with a new wife and a new baby) lost their home to a foreclosure.

In any case, is the foreclosure induced desperation theory the only one proposed by this liberal media, or one of many that they explored? This is not rhetorical - I really have not followed this closely enough to know the details. Also, are you saying that any suggestion of a possible causal relationship between huge financial troubles and a co-incident radicalization is crackpottery?

13. Jul 7, 2010 #12

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Depends on the direction of the causation arrow.
    That radicalization, and the willingness not to care about the lives of others might well de-motivate a person from acting in such a manner that he will gain money in a lawful manner, is of course, not crackpottery at all.
    Why should he any longer care about how other people gain comfort in their lives when he is enthused about the thought of..killing them?

Since it has clerly been shown that his radicalization started a lot earlier than his getting a foreclosure, this is the probable connection, if any, between his finances and his mental outlook.

14. Jul 7, 2010 #13

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am not aware of the details, but I was under the impression that the radicalization happened over the last year or two - which would be after the beginning of the collapse of the housing bubble (as well as the start of the recession back in 2008) in the US.

15. Jul 7, 2010 #14

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Give a credible psychological mechanism for why foreclosure of your house would spiral you into planning methodically the murder of hundreds of innocents at Times Square.

If you can't point to such a mechanism, you may as well dismiss this cherished brainchild of the libleft as what it is: A fantasy.

16. Jul 7, 2010 #15

russ_watters

As i said: the Van Jones story cited above and doscussed in the article.

17. Jul 7, 2010 #16

Evo

I've got to agree with you here, a person running into ongoing problems with mortgage payments due to any reason should start preparing to move into a cheaper rental property if it doesn't look like they can sell. Anyone being foreclosed on has had plenty of advanced notice. (unless you're that women that came home from work to find that the bank accidently gave her address to the foreclosure company they hired and they had trashed her house, taken her pet, and put a lock box on the doors).

But this is dragging the thread off topic.

18. Jul 7, 2010 #17

russ_watters

Note that in the fort Hood case, the media also looked for and generated stories on similar non-Islamic extremist motivation. Also, that's different from reporting on (or not) someone else's crackpottery, but rather is a case of the media generating it themselves and reporting it as if it is a real story. Even if in this case "crackpottery" is too strong of a word, it is still wrong to do it.

19. Jul 7, 2010 #18

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It is called violation of the principle of Occam's Razor.
    We already have an motival explanation that works fine for BOTH occasions, therefore, that explanation should be favoured rather than inventing disparate "explanations" for both of them.

20. Jul 7, 2010 #19
    You've given one example, and in my opinion, it's a fairly shaky example. Compare this to "climategate," the children singing an Obama song, and the "War on Christmas" and you'll see it isn't even close.

Fox is a nonstop parade of conservative crackpottery, while the "mainstream media" might occasionally miss an opportunity to be critical of the left. Like I said, it isn't even close.

21. Jul 7, 2010 #20

russ_watters

You're saying you don't think Van Jones is a crackpot? Do you not consider the 9/11 conspiracy theory movement to be crackpottery? The Free Mumia movement? STORM?
    Odd choices. You're claiming climategate is a conservative media generated conspiracy theory? And I'm not seeing any connection between the "war on christmas" and conservative media. And the chrismas song? Are you talking about the GOP official who distributed a "Barack the Magic Negro" song? Are you claiming that was a conservative media generated piece of crackpottery? Or a story that was missed or misreported by conservative media? Very odd choices indeed that seemingly reflect the type of bias I'm talking about.
    Based on your odd choices above, it doesn't surprise me that you feel that way.

In any case, I'm not arguing that Fox isn't conservatively biased, so it isn't all that useful to make that argument. I agree that they are! But even if the liberal bias by the rest of the media isn't as strong (and on average, it isn't), the fact that it is so widespread makes it just as big if not a bigger problem.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook