News Libya: Evolving Civil War

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yes in fact, there is a continuum between invasion, NFZs, DMZs, and using NATO assets to attempt to discourage bombings.
Do you believe this list spans the extremities of the what-to-do continuum?

What, not enough dead yet? I'm ready to allow the EU to pick up their mess and stabilize this critical region. It seems like the right thing to do, it's what is being asked of them, and in addition to colonialism.. you bought most of their oil.

Time to pay the piper.
this is why i brought up the other colonies in africa. we had a full-scale genocide in Rwanda. and despite even having a few blue helmets stationed there, no one lifted a finger to help the Tutsis. did we go in and fix Sudan? no, i don't think we did. this "right thing to do" argument never materializes when it involves countries that no longer have resources that are important to us. so it is a fake argument and it is disingenuous. don't pretend that we are helping them when our only interest here is to re-establish our grip on "our" oil.

Do you believe this list spans the extremities of the what-to-do continuum?
Not even close.

edit: True extremes:

Nuclear bombardment -> Total passivity.

this is why i brought up the other colonies in africa. we had a full-scale genocide in Rwanda. and despite even having a few blue helmets stationed there, no one lifted a finger to help the Tutsis. did we go in and fix Sudan? no, i don't think we did. this "right thing to do" argument never materializes when it involves countries that no longer have resources that are important to us. so it is a fake argument and it is disingenuous. don't pretend that we are helping them when our only interest here is to re-establish our grip on "our" oil.
Yeah... this is why I'm advocating a different approach.

Yeah... this is why I'm advocating a different approach.
OK, so do you think Libya is the worst humanitarian crisis in the world now? i really don't know. maybe it is, but it would be nice to see some kind of triage system set in place. then we could break the cycle of only getting excited about crises that also involve assets.

OK, so do you think Libya is the worst humanitarian crisis in the world now? i really don't know. maybe it is, but it would be nice to see some kind of triage system set in place. then we could break the cycle of only getting excited about crises that also involve assets.
By no means do I think it's the worst, nor do I see that as an excuse. I'd add.. most humanitarian crises aren't so easily adressed as a NATO air-blockade.

By no means do I think it's the worst, nor do I see that as an excuse. I'd add.. most humanitarian crises aren't so easily adressed as a NATO air-blockade.
i'm going to go out on a limb here and agree with Russ that you will just be making it worse.

i'm going to go out on a limb here and agree with Russ that you will just be making it worse.
Well, I can't say that you're wrong, you might be right after all. I have no special knowledge here, so I'm just expressing my frusteration, and my beliefs. I'm aware of the potential for blowback, but I think that's coming no matter what we do.

Still, who knows...

Well, I can't say that you're wrong, you might be right after all. I have no special knowledge here, so I'm just expressing my frusteration, and my beliefs. I'm aware of the potential for blowback, but I think that's coming no matter what we do.

Still, who knows...
you never know what sorts of things may be going on in the background. rebels may already have assistance from various sources.

you never know what sorts of things may be going on in the background. rebels may already have assistance from various sources.
Doubtless... but it may not be sources we want to see involved.

I think we can now conclude that Libya has begun, if not fully engaged in, a civil war. This is going to be profoundly ugly.