Lie group multiplication and Lie algebra commutation

In summary, the commutation relations of the generators of a Lie algebra can be used to determine the multiplication laws for elements in a Lie group. For the specific case of ##SO(3)##, the commutation relations are ##[J_{i},J_{j}]=i\epsilon_{ijk}J_{k}##, which can be satisfied by finding a set of matrices ##J_k## that form a basis for the Lie algebra. By exponentiating these matrices, we obtain elements of the Lie group ##SO(3)##. The multiplication law in this case refers to the fact that multiplying two elements from the Lie group results in another element in the Lie group, or in other words, ##e^{i\
spaghetti3451
I've heard it said that the commutation relations of the generators of a Lie algebra determine the multiplication laws of the Lie group elements.

I would like to prove this statement for ##SO(3)##.

I know that the commutation relations are ##[J_{i},J_{j}]=i\epsilon_{ijk}J_{k}##.

Can you suggest a possible next step for showing how this can be used to determine the multiplication law for ##SO(3)##?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not used to Lie but I think the steps are : You could find a set of matrices that satisfy these commutation relation, $$J_k $$

Then it builds a basis for the Lie algebra.

By exponentiating we get elements of the group SO (3)

Thus we need to compute $$exp (aJ_x+bJ_z)$$ for exemple.

Does the multiplication law refer to the fact that if we multiply two elements ##e^{i\theta_{1}J_{1}}## and ##e^{i\theta_{2}J_{2}}## from the Lie group, we get an element which is also in the Lie group?

Or does the group multiplication law refer to the fact that ##e^{i\theta_{1}J_{1}}e^{i\theta_{2}J_{2}}=e^{i(\theta_{1}J_{1}+\theta_{2}J_{2})}##?

failexam said:
Does the multiplication law refer to the fact that if we multiply two elements ##e^{i\theta_{1}J_{1}}## and ##e^{i\theta_{2}J_{2}}## from the Lie group, we get an element which is also in the Lie group?

Or does the group multiplication law refer to the fact that ##e^{i\theta_{1}J_{1}}e^{i\theta_{2}J_{2}}=e^{i(\theta_{1}J_{1}+\theta_{2}J_{2})}##?

The last is in general not true see Baker Campbell Hausdorff formula

Alright then, how would you define the multiplication law for ##SO(3)##?

The operation could be matrix multiplication but the exponential comes from writing a rotation out of an infinitesimal one.

Infinitesimal rotations are commutative but rotations are not.

1. What is a Lie group?

A Lie group is a mathematical concept that combines the properties of a group and a differentiable manifold. It is a group that is also a smooth space, where the group operations can be continuously varied. Examples of Lie groups include the rotation group in three-dimensional space and the general linear group of invertible matrices.

2. What is Lie group multiplication?

Lie group multiplication is the operation of combining two elements in a Lie group to form a new element. This operation is often denoted with a multiplication symbol, but it is important to note that it is not the same as traditional multiplication. In Lie groups, the order of multiplication matters, and the result of the operation may not be commutative.

3. What is Lie algebra commutation?

Lie algebra commutation refers to the relationship between elements in a Lie algebra. In a Lie algebra, commutation is defined as the operation of taking the difference of two elements and seeing if the result is equal to the commutator of the two elements. If the commutator is equal to zero, then the two elements are said to commute, meaning they can be rearranged without changing the result.

4. How are Lie group multiplication and Lie algebra commutation related?

Lie group multiplication and Lie algebra commutation are related because Lie groups and Lie algebras are two different ways of representing the same mathematical object. The elements in a Lie group can be represented as matrices, and the elements in a Lie algebra can be represented as vectors. The commutator operation in the Lie algebra corresponds to the group multiplication operation in the Lie group.

5. What are some real-life applications of Lie group multiplication and Lie algebra commutation?

Lie group multiplication and Lie algebra commutation have many applications in physics, particularly in the study of symmetry and group theory. They are also used in differential geometry, quantum mechanics, and control theory. In engineering, they are used in robotics, computer vision, and machine learning. Other applications include quantum computing, cryptography, and signal processing.