1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits of detection/decision/determination

1. Jan 24, 2006 #1
    Could someone help me clarify the differences between the limts of detection, decision and determination. I've looked around for various definitions for each, and many seem awfully similar.

Could someone also clarify, what are the implications of each for chemical analysis? I have idea for what I think is the limit of detection, but since the differences are a bit sketchy I don't want to push it:redface:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

it's actually a very important experimental concept, in particular with experiments involving calibration along with its mathematical details. You'll want to relate the concept with its mathematical features as well as graphical associations. Is this for instrumental analysis?
  4. Jan 26, 2006 #3
    Yep, for a analytical chem exam (I'm a physicist by trade - and confused).

I think they're different multipled of the standard deviation, however I'm not how that defines their roles in calibration.analysis.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?