Linear Algebra Question on Calculating Current

In summary, the conversation is about finding the currents and direction in a circuit using linear algebra. The circuit has 6 loops and the goal is to find the currents going through each resistor and their direction. The application of Kirchoff's and Ohm's laws is mentioned, and a specific layout and solution for a circuit with x nodes and y loops is provided. The conversation ends with the question of whether this is the information the person is looking for.
whatisphysics
Hi everyone

I am trying to find the current of a circuit using linear algebra.
So far, I know that there are 6 loops, one on each side of the cube. However, I am not sure about how many equations I have to come up with to construct a matrix and thus solving the problem.

The questions is to find the currents that are going through EACH resistor, and the DIRECTION that they are going in. There should be a total of 12 arrows indicating the directions of the currents, 1 on each side.

ANY help/hint/suggestion is GREATLY appreciated.

Attachments

• LinearAlgebra.png
    LinearAlgebra.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 456
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you referring to the application of Kirchoff's (and Ohm's) laws?

In this layout, you have equations for each node and each loop in the circuit.

Is that your layout?

Last edited:
I'll post the layout, together with the solution for a specific circuit,( I'll do
so if anyone is interested):

Given a circuit with x nodes and y loops, we use the fact that (Kirchoff )

i)At every node, the sum of incoming currents equals the sum of outgoing currents.

ii) Around every loop, the (algebraic) sums of the increases in voltage equals the
sum of voltage drops.

Then, we must have , for a given node N in the circuit:

c_N1 +..+c_Nj +...c_Nn =0

( I'm getting some cash back for that c_Nn plug, BTW.)

where ci is the value of the current, and it is positive if the current is
incoming, and it is negative otherwise.

For every loop L , we use Ohm's law (E=iR ) to calculate voltage drops:

iR_L1+..+iR_Lk+...+iR_Ln=0

From this, you get a system of |L| +|N| linear equations, from which you get the
currents.

Is this what you're looking for?

1. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, matrices, and vector spaces. It is used to study and solve systems of linear equations and to represent and analyze geometric transformations.

2. How is Linear Algebra used in Calculating Current?

In Calculating Current, Linear Algebra is used to represent and solve systems of linear equations that describe the flow of current through a circuit. This allows us to calculate the current at different points in the circuit and analyze the behavior of the circuit.

3. What are the key concepts in Linear Algebra that are important for Calculating Current?

Some key concepts in Linear Algebra that are important for Calculating Current include matrices, vector spaces, linear transformations, and systems of linear equations.

4. How do you use matrices in Calculating Current?

Matrices are used in Calculating Current to represent the coefficients and variables in a system of linear equations. These matrices can then be manipulated using various techniques such as Gaussian elimination to solve for the unknown variables, which in this case represent the current at different points in the circuit.

5. Can Linear Algebra help to optimize a circuit's performance?

Yes, Linear Algebra can help to optimize a circuit's performance by representing the circuit as a system of linear equations and using techniques such as matrix multiplication, eigenvalues, and eigenvectors to analyze and improve the circuit's behavior.