Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Linear dependency of Vectors above R and C and the det

1. May 21, 2016 #1
    consider the two vectors v1 = (3i, 2), v2 = (-3, 2i). in C^2

Above C we get, v1 * i = v2, therefore they are dependent.

Now above R, we can't see that they are dependent.

Why if i take the determinant of those vectors i get get 0 |v1 v2| = 2x2 matrix = 0 ( which means two column vectors are independent). Does the determinant works only above C in this case because above R they are independent and yet we get same result of the determinant?

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2016 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

those vectors have 2 entries over C but 4 entries over R. Then the (real) matrix of the two vectors is 2 x 4, and it will not have all 2x2 sub determinants equal to zero. so the determinant method still works over R, but you have to express the vectors in terms of a real basis, which takes 4 basis vectors, hence 4 real entries for your vectors.

4. May 21, 2016 #3

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Your vectors are part of ##ℂ^2## and linearly dependant over ##ℂ## as you correctly said.

What you are next doing is to confuse different concepts.
    If you regard the vectors over ##ℝ##, then ##i## is no longer a scalar and ##i^2 = -1## cannot be calculated. Your determinant is therefore ##6i^2 + 6## which is different from ##0 \in ℝ##. ##i## plays the same role as a variable would do,
    i.e. ## v_1, v_2 ∈ ℝ^2[x] ≅ ℝ^2[\text{i}] ##.

5. May 21, 2016 #4
    but 2x4 matrix over R means the columns are are linearly dependent. how do i write the vectors are above as 4 vector basis in R? and how do i see they are linearly independent above R in that matrix?

6. May 21, 2016 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

maybe i should have said 4x2. then the columns are vectors of length 4. a real basis of C^2 is e.g., (1,0), (i,0), (0,1), (0,i). in that basis (3i,2) has real coordinate (row, since i can't write columns here) vector (0, 3, 2, 0), and (-3,2i) has coordinate vector (-3, 0, 0, 2). then the first 2x2 determinant equals 9 or -9 depending on what order you write the vectors. since there is a non zero 2x2 determinant the vectors are independent over R.

7. May 21, 2016 #6

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Complex multiplication allows one vector to be rotated to another vector. So they will be linearly dependent. Multiplication of vectors in R2 by real numbers can not rotate a vector. So two vectors in R2 can be linearly dependent only if they are parallel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted