Linear First-Order Differential Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of rearranging an equation into a specific form for solving differential equations. The example equation is (x^2-9)dy/dx+xy=0, x>3, which is rearranged by dividing across by x^2-9. The question arises about the required form, specifically the f(x) term, and it is explained that a constant function, f(x)= any number, is also considered a function.
DiamondV
Hi,
so I am just starting to learn differential equations and we were told that you have to put the equation into
ee1db7046d.png
this form.

In one of the examples in my lecture notes, which says
"Solve (x^2-9)dy/dx+xy=0, x>3" He then says we need to rearrange this into the form given above, so he does this by dividing across by x^2-9 and gets this.

gif.latex?%5Cfrac%7Bdy%7D%7Bdx%7D+%5Cfrac%7Bx%7D%7Bx%5E2-9%7Dy%20%3D0%2C%20x%3E3.gif

I understand that if you divide 0 by x^2-9 you get 0 but that still isn't a function of x

Now if you compare the form we put the equation into and the required form you will notice that
gif.latex?P%28x%29%3D%5Cfrac%7Bx%7D%7Bx%5E2+9%7D%2C%20f%28x%29%3D0.gif

My issue is with the f(x). How is 0 a function of x? Arent we meant to have a function of x on the right as part of the required format?

Physics news on Phys.org
DiamondV said:
My issue is with the f(x). How is 0 a function of x? Arent we meant to have a function of x on the right as part of the required format?

If you are unhappy with ##0## just replace it with ##x - x##, which perhaps you'll accept as a function of ##x##.

##f(x) = λx## is a function of ##x## for every ##λ##, a straight through the origin. With ##λ=0## it just becomes the x-axis, but is still a straight through the origin and a function of ##x##. Also ##f(x) = ##any constant is a function of ##x##.

DiamondV said:
A constant function, f(x)= any number is also a function! The basic definition of "function" is "a set of ordered pairs such that no two pairs have the same first value". The function f(x)= 0 for all x is the set of ordered pairs {(x, 0)} where x can be any number.

1. What is a linear first-order differential equation?

A linear first-order differential equation is a type of differential equation that can be written in the form dy/dx = Px + Q, where P and Q are functions of x. It is called "linear" because the dependent variable, y, and its first derivative, dy/dx, appear in a linear fashion.

2. What is the general solution to a linear first-order differential equation?

The general solution to a linear first-order differential equation is given by y = Ce-∫P(x)dx + ∫Q(x)e∫P(x)dxdx, where C is an arbitrary constant and the integrals are evaluated over the given interval.

3. How do you solve a linear first-order differential equation?

To solve a linear first-order differential equation, you can use the method of separation of variables. This involves isolating the variables on opposite sides of the equation and then integrating both sides. You can also use the integrating factor method, where you multiply both sides of the equation by a function to make it easier to solve.

4. What is the difference between a linear and a nonlinear first-order differential equation?

The main difference between a linear and a nonlinear first-order differential equation is the presence of the dependent variable, y, and its first derivative, dy/dx. In a linear equation, these terms appear in a linear fashion, while in a nonlinear equation, they may appear in a more complex manner, such as in terms of powers or products.

5. What are some real-life applications of linear first-order differential equations?

Linear first-order differential equations have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. Some examples include modeling population growth, analyzing circuits in electrical engineering, and predicting the spread of diseases in epidemiology.