1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Functionals - Continuity and Boundedness

1. Nov 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that a continuous linear functional, [tex] f [/tex] is bounded and vice versa.

2. Relevant equations

I know that the definition of a linear functional is:
    [tex] f( \alpha|x> + \beta|y>) = \alpha f(|x> ) + \beta f( |y> ) [/tex]
    and that a bounded linear functional satisfies:
    [tex] ||f(|x>)) || \leq \epsilon ||\ |x> || , \ \ \ \epsilon > 0[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried the following by letting:

[tex] f(|x>) = \sum a_{i}f( |x_{i}> ) [/tex]
    then applying triangle inequality:
    [tex] || f(|x>) || \leq \sum||a_{i}|| \ || f( |x_{i}> ) || [/tex]

but now I'm stuck, can someone please help get going in right direction? thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2011 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is a standard functional analysis thing which is valid in normed/preBanach spaces and is normally presented in books as a result applicable to functionals when seen as operators from a normed space to C/R seen as normed spaces wrt the modulus.

So the proof for operators goes in 2 steps. First you show that a linear operator continuous at a point is continuous everywhere on the normed space it acts. Then you can show the desired equivalence.

This is neatly proved in Prugovecky's <Quantum Mechanics in Hilbert Space>, Ch.III

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook