Linear measurement of a curved part

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for measuring the diameter of a proposed manufactured part, including using vernier callipers, a photographic method, and physical measurement using a jig and various tools such as a micrometer, Dial Indicator, laser distance sensors, and an optical profilometer. The use of a Coordinate Measurement Machine (CMM) and a Go/NoGo profile template are also suggested. The feasibility and cost of each method are considered, as well as the shape, material, and dimensions of the part. The possibility of using a computer-controlled device to measure the diameter at any distance is also mentioned.
vin300
Below is a part proposed to be manufactured. The inspection of this part poses a problem, because vernier callipers only measure distances between parallel surfaces.
3d.PNG
I know there is some photographic method of measuring distances, however I would like to know is there no way of physically measuring the diameter along the curvature.

Attachments

• 3d.PNG
    3d.PNG
    3.4 KB · Views: 766
Engineering news on Phys.org
classic method would be an open set up using granite surface plate and a digital height stand to measure various points along the long axis. Coordinate measurement machine is the typical solution. google CMM.

Likes Asymptotic
If you just want to measure the diameter in the middle, you could use a point micrometer:
upload_2018-3-18_17-35-34.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-18_17-35-34.png
    upload_2018-3-18_17-35-34.png
    43.4 KB · Views: 464
Build a jig to keep the product directly under a Dial Indicator .

g9849-4601194499897ab30da5db941816d63b.jpg

Attachments

• g9849-4601194499897ab30da5db941816d63b.jpg
    g9849-4601194499897ab30da5db941816d63b.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 486
Thanks. I'll have to enquire about the feasibility of these methods. I think using the micrometer would be cumbersome.

Are you manufacturing hundreds of these parts? And would they all need to be measured for accuracy? If so then then a Tom.G suggested, having some kind of jig built would be my suggestion, though I would use two laser distance sensors to give an accurate thickness, or in this case diameter, in this case I assume you would have to make multiple measurements along the edge. The cost of such a setup would only really be feasible if you are producing enough quantities to justify, also greater accuracy = greater price.

I'm being told the CMM isn't absolutely necessary, an optical profilometer that is used to measure roughness would do fine. I'm about to find out soon if it does.
Tolklein said:
Are you manufacturing hundreds of these parts? And would they all need to be measured for accuracy? If so then then a Tom.G suggested, having some kind of jig built would be my suggestion, though I would use two laser distance sensors to give an accurate thickness, or in this case diameter, in this case I assume you would have to make multiple measurements along the edge.
It is a large quantity but I'm only going to inspect some samples.
In the beginning I had mentioned physical measurement, but I'm seeing what works.

Last edited:
i have sold cmms since 1980 and was product manager for the original Profilometer. patented product.
what dimensions do you need to measure and to what accuracy?
it total measurement time a consideration?

It looks to me like a round bar is machined to a reduced diameter over a length near the centre, with a conical transition on either side.
I see no reason why a Go/NoGo profile template cannot be made. Exactly what shape it it?
What is the material, is it machined in a lathe or injection moulded? How about putting some dimensions on it.

Done. They were skeptical at first. Then one person used the profilometer. The bar was kept on a V block over the device table. The table could be controlled by a computer and joystick on two axes. By taking reference of the end face, diameter at any distance was measured by focusing the image.
Baluncore said:
It looks to me like a round bar is machined to a reduced diameter over a length near the centre, with a conical transition on either side.
It is not conical but circular.

Attachments

• drw0001.pdf
    29.2 KB · Views: 304
Likes Tom.G

What is linear measurement of a curved part?

Linear measurement of a curved part refers to the process of determining the length of a curved object, such as a circle, arc, or parabola. This measurement is typically taken along a specific line or path on the curved object.

How is linear measurement of a curved part different from regular measurement?

Regular measurement involves determining the length of an object that has a straight or flat surface. Linear measurement of a curved part, on the other hand, takes into account the curvature of the object and requires a different approach to accurately measure its length.

What tools are used for linear measurement of a curved part?

There are several tools that can be used for linear measurement of a curved part, including flexible rulers, measuring tapes, and string. These tools allow for the measurement of the curved part to be taken along its curved surface.

What are some real-world applications of linear measurement of a curved part?

Linear measurement of a curved part is commonly used in fields such as engineering, construction, and manufacturing. It is essential for accurately measuring and designing curved structures, such as bridges, roads, and pipelines.

Are there any challenges to consider when performing linear measurement of a curved part?

Yes, there are several challenges that can arise when measuring a curved object. These include accounting for any irregularities in the curve, ensuring the measurement is taken consistently along the same path, and selecting the appropriate tool for the specific curve being measured. Additionally, factors such as temperature and humidity can also affect the accuracy of the measurement.