Abaqus FEA Problem - Displacing an Entire Part at Once

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Abaqus CAE/Explicit 2017 for a personal project involving a tube being advanced into a larger tube with a bend. The issue is with displacing the smaller tube a fixed distance and the potential solutions include using a displacement/rotation or adjusting material density, element sizes, velocity, and time step size. The goal is to measure stress distributions in the deforming tube.
tomtom412
Hi all,

I have a personal project I am working on in Abaqus CAE/Explicit 2017. I have a tube, that I am trying to advance into a larger tube with a bend in it. The idea is that the small tube enters and then deforms around the bend as it comes into contact with the radius of curvature of the larger bend.

The problem I am having is that I do not know how to displace the smaller tube a fixed distance. I had applied a displacement/rotation to the proximal end, hoping it would advance the entire part along the distance specified. However it simply "crushed" the prox face in on itself, not moving the entire part; even though there were no boundary conditions on the distal end, i.e. fixing it in place etc..

Is there a function I am unaware of that will do this for me? My goal is to measure the stress distributions in the tube as it deforms around the bend.

Any guidance at all would be greatly appreciated, I have a decent understanding of most aspects of the software from college work, but this is throwing me big time!

Thanks in advance!
Tom

Engineering news on Phys.org
I had similar problems when using ABAQUS to model sheet metal forming. I was modelling the process of pulling a strip of sheet metal through a test machine. I started by defining a velocity for the end nodes of the modeled strip. That blew up right away. The root problem is that, in FEA land, the part being modeled has exactly zero damping between each and every node. I pulled the end nodes a distance of (velocity X time step), which created a large strain (and stress) in the end elements after the first time step. At the second time step, the second row of nodes jumped forward because of the high stress, and the whole process went into positive feedback. I ended up pulling the strip through a spring and dashpot to make the model work.

Take hard look at your material density, element sizes, velocity, and time step size. You could be inadvertently hitting the end of your tube at high velocity before the rest of your part has a chance to move.

1. What is Abaqus FEA?

Abaqus FEA (Finite Element Analysis) is a software used for simulating and analyzing the behavior of structures or mechanical components under various loading conditions. It helps engineers and researchers to predict the performance of their designs and make necessary modifications before physically prototyping them.

2. What is the purpose of displacing an entire part at once in Abaqus FEA?

Displacing an entire part at once is a common technique used to simulate large deformations or movements of a structure. It is useful in scenarios where a part undergoes significant changes in shape, such as during impact or structural collapse.

3. How can I perform a displacement analysis in Abaqus FEA?

To perform a displacement analysis in Abaqus FEA, first, you need to create a model of your structure and define the materials, boundary conditions, and loading. Then, you can use the displacement boundary condition to specify the desired displacement for the entire part or a selected region. Finally, you can run the analysis and view the results.

4. What are the benefits of using Abaqus FEA for displacement analysis?

Abaqus FEA offers several benefits for displacement analysis, such as accurate and reliable results, flexibility in modeling different types of structures, and the ability to handle complex loading and boundary conditions. It also provides advanced features for post-processing and visualization, making it easier to interpret and analyze the results.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in using Abaqus FEA for displacement analysis?

While Abaqus FEA is a powerful tool for displacement analysis, there are some limitations and challenges to consider. These include the need for a good understanding of structural mechanics and finite element analysis principles, the complexity of setting up a model, and the computational resources required for running large simulations. It is also essential to validate the results obtained from Abaqus FEA with physical experiments or other analytical methods.