Linear Momentum and Collisions- Acceleration Relative to the Ice

In summary, a child on a sled is resting on smooth ice. When a horizontal force of 37.0 N is applied to the 9.10 kg sled, it accelerates at 2.50 m/s^2. The 23.0 kg child also accelerates, but at a smaller rate. The child moves forward relative to the ice, but slides backward relative to the sled. The question asks for the acceleration of the child relative to the ice. To solve this problem, it is helpful to create a Free Body Diagram and consider all forces acting on the system.
rsfancy
On a cold winter morning, a child sits on a sled resting on smooth ice. When the 9.10 kg sled is pulled with a horizontal force of 37.0 N, it begins to move with an acceleration of 2.50 m/s^2.The 23.0 kg child accelerates too, but with a smaller acceleration than that of the sled. Thus, the child moves forward relative to the ice, but slides backward relative to the sled.

Q.Find the acceleration of the child relative to the ice.

There are several equations that fall under the Linear Momentum and Collision category and none of them seem to quite be relevant enough to the question, obviously this is mostly due to the fact that I don't see the correlation. None of the formulas seem to help me to find an Acceleration, neither does Energy Conservation( which is what I was thinking would help in this problem) help me to find Acceleration.

I am a little confused as to how to go about this problem as I am unable to see which way to even start, or what I should be using to get to the end result, the Acceleration of the child relative to the ice.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
rsfancy said:
On a cold winter morning, a child sits on a sled resting on smooth ice. When the 9.10 kg sled is pulled with a horizontal force of 37.0 N, it begins to move with an acceleration of 2.50 m/s^2.The 23.0 kg child accelerates too, but with a smaller acceleration than that of the sled. Thus, the child moves forward relative to the ice, but slides backward relative to the sled.

Q.Find the acceleration of the child relative to the ice.

There are several equations that fall under the Linear Momentum and Collision category and none of them seem to quite be relevant enough to the question, obviously this is mostly due to the fact that I don't see the correlation. None of the formulas seem to help me to find an Acceleration, neither does Energy Conservation( which is what I was thinking would help in this problem) help me to find Acceleration.

I am a little confused as to how to go about this problem as I am unable to see which way to even start, or what I should be using to get to the end result, the Acceleration of the child relative to the ice.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

The best way to start almost any physics problem is to draw a picture of the problem and then to make a Free Body Diagram of each component. Think about each force that might be present and think about what the sum of all forces will be. See if your diagrams give you any ideas.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of relative motion. In this case, the child is experiencing two different accelerations, one relative to the sled and one relative to the ice. To find the acceleration of the child relative to the ice, we need to use the concept of the relative velocity between the child and the sled.

We can start by defining some variables:
- m1 = mass of the sled (9.10 kg)
- m2 = mass of the child (23.0 kg)
- F = horizontal force applied to the sled (37.0 N)
- a1 = acceleration of the sled (2.50 m/s^2)
- a2 = acceleration of the child relative to the sled (unknown)
- a2' = acceleration of the child relative to the ice (unknown)

We can use Newton's second law of motion to relate the forces and accelerations:
F = m1a1
37.0 N = (9.10 kg)(2.50 m/s^2)
a1 = 4.07 m/s^2

Next, we can use the concept of relative motion to relate the accelerations of the child and the sled:
a2 = a2' + a1
a2' = a2 - a1
We know that the sled is accelerating at 2.50 m/s^2 and the child is accelerating at a smaller rate, so we can say that a2 < a1. This means that the child is moving forward relative to the ice, but at a slower rate than the sled.

Now, we can use the concept of inertia to relate the accelerations and masses of the sled and the child:
m1a1 = m2a2
(9.10 kg)(2.50 m/s^2) = (23.0 kg)a2
a2 = 0.924 m/s^2

Finally, we can substitute this value into our equation for relative motion to find the acceleration of the child relative to the ice:
a2' = a2 - a1
a2' = 0.924 m/s^2 - 4.07 m/s^2
a2' = -3.15 m/s^2

This negative acceleration means that the child is sliding backwards relative to the sled, but moving forward relative to the ice at a slower rate than the sled. Therefore, the acceleration

1. What is linear momentum and how is it related to collisions?

Linear momentum refers to the quantity of motion possessed by an object. In collisions, the total linear momentum of a system remains constant, meaning that any changes in the momentum of one object will be equal and opposite to the changes in momentum of the other object involved in the collision.

2. How is acceleration calculated in relation to ice?

Acceleration on ice is calculated using the same formula as acceleration on any other surface: a = Δv/Δt, where a is acceleration, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the change in time. However, because ice has a lower coefficient of friction than other surfaces, the acceleration may be greater on ice due to reduced frictional forces.

3. What is the relationship between momentum and velocity in collisions?

Momentum and velocity are directly related in collisions. Momentum is equal to an object's mass multiplied by its velocity, so an increase in velocity will result in an increase in momentum. In collisions, the total momentum of a system is conserved, meaning that any changes in velocity will also affect the total momentum of the system.

4. How does the mass of an object affect its momentum in a collision?

The mass of an object has a direct impact on its momentum in a collision. A heavier object will have a greater momentum than a lighter object with the same velocity. This can be seen in the formula for momentum: p=mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. Therefore, a heavier object will require more force to change its momentum in a collision compared to a lighter object.

5. Can momentum be lost in a collision?

No, momentum cannot be lost in a collision. The total momentum of a system is always conserved, meaning that it remains constant before and after the collision. While momentum may be transferred between objects in a collision, the total amount of momentum in the system will always remain the same.