Linear momentum and impulse problem

In summary, the problem involves a 3.0-kg steel ball striking a wall with a speed of 10 m/s at an angle of 60 degrees. After bouncing off the wall with the same speed and angle, the ball is in contact with the wall for 0.20 s. The question asks for the average force exerted on the ball by the wall, and the solution involves calculating impulse and momentum. By considering the direction of the ball's momentum and using trigonometric functions, the impulse is found to be 52 N·s and the average force is calculated to be 260 N.
NoPhysicsGenius
[SOLVED] Linear momentum and impulse problem

Homework Statement

A 3.0-kg steel ball strikes a massive wall with a speed of 10 m/s at an angle of 60 degrees with the surface. It bounces off with the same speed and angle (see Figure 9.30). If the ball is in contact with the wall for 0.20 s, what is the average force exerted on the ball by the wall?

[Description of accompanying diagram (Figure 9.30) ...]

There are x and y axes, with the y-axis representing the wall. A ball is shown coming in at an angle of 210 degrees relative to the positive x-axis (or 60 degrees to the left of the negative y-axis), and leaving at an angle of 150 degrees relative to the positive x-axis (or 60 degrees to the left of the positive y-axis).

Homework Equations

[tex]\overrightarrow{I} = \int (from t_i to t_f) \overrightarrow{F}dt = \Delta\overrightarrow{p} = \overline{F} \Delta t[/tex]

Note: [tex]\overrightarrow{I} = impulse; \overrightarrow{F} = force; \Delta\overrightarrow{p} = change in momentum; \overline{F} = time-averaged force; and \Delta t = change in time [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer in the back of the book says 260 N to the left of the diagram.

If I reverse engineer the problem, I find that 260 N of force corresponds to 52 N of impulse. Then ...

[tex]\overline{F} = \frac{\overrightarrow{I}}{\Delta t} = \frac{52 N}{0.20 s} = 260 N[/tex]

But I can't for the life of me figure out where the impulse comes from. Since the ball enters and exits at the same angle and speed, it looks like the impulse should be zero!

Please help. Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
NoPhysicsGenius said:
But I can't for the life of me figure out where the impulse comes from. Since the ball enters and exits at the same angle and speed, it looks like the impulse should be zero!

Well, momentum is a vector quantity. Therefore, direction is important in figuring out whether an impulse has acted on an object.

NoPhysicsGenius said:
If I reverse engineer the problem, I find that 260 N of force corresponds to 52 N of impulse. Then ...

[tex]\overline{F} = \frac{\overrightarrow{I}}{\Delta t} = \frac{52 N}{0.20 s} = 260 N[/tex]

This should read ...

If I reverse engineer the problem, I find that 260 N of force corresponds to
[tex]52 N \cdot s[/tex]
of impulse. Then ...

[tex]\overline{F} = \frac{\overrightarrow{I}}{\Delta t} = \frac{52 N \cdot s}{0.20 s} = 260 N[/tex]

Last edited:
draw the motion of the ball, what i mean is to draw the speed of the ball as in x and y vector components

so if the ball is striking the surface at 60 degree angle, then it has sin and cosine components of speed,

Oomair said:
draw the motion of the ball, what i mean is to draw the speed of the ball as in x and y vector components

so if the ball is striking the surface at 60 degree angle, then it has sin and cosine components of speed,

I tried doing this with the momentum instead, and it worked! Thank you! Here's my solution ...

Calculation of momentum of ball before it hits the wall ...

[tex]\sin \Theta = \frac{opp}{hyp} = \sin\Theta = \frac{p_{y_b}}{p_{before}}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow p_{y_b} = p_{before}\sin\Theta[/tex]

Similarly, ...

[tex]p_{x_b} = p_{before}\cos\Theta[/tex]

Calculation of momentum of ball after it hits the wall ...

You'll need to draw your own diagram, but the calculations come to:

[tex]p_{y_a} = p_{after} \sin\Theta[/tex]
[tex]p_{x_a} = -p_{after} \cos\Theta[/tex]

Since
[tex]p_{before} = mv_i[/tex]
and
[tex]p_{after} = mv_f[/tex]
; and also because
[tex]\Theta = 30\circ[/tex]
(You'll have to draw your own diagrams to see that theta is not 60 degrees) ...

We obtain the following:

[tex]p_{y_b} = mv_i \sin 30 \circ[/tex]
[tex]p_{x_b} = mv_i \cos 30 \circ[/tex]
[tex]p_{y_a} = mv_f \sin 30 \circ[/tex]
[tex]p_{x_a} = -mv_f \cos 30 \circ[/tex]

We then can calculate the impulse ...

[tex]I_y = p_{y_a} - p_{y_b} = mv_f \sin 30 \circ - (mv_i \sin 30 \circ)[/tex]
. . . [tex] = ((3 kg) * (10 m/s) * \sin 30 \circ) - ((3 kg) * (10 m/s) * \sin 30 \circ) = 0[/tex]
[tex]I_x = p_{x_a} - p_{x_b} = -mv_f \cos 30 \circ - (mv_i \cos 30 \circ)[/tex]
. . . [tex] = (-(3 kg) * (10 m/s) * \cos 30 \circ) - ((3 kg) * (10 m/s) * \cos 30 \circ) = -52 N \cdot s[/tex]

One can then solve for the average force by using my calculation given in my most recent post!

1. What is linear momentum?

Linear momentum is a fundamental concept in physics that describes the quantity of motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity. In other words, it is the amount of motion an object has in a particular direction.

2. How is linear momentum calculated?

Linear momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass (m) by its velocity (v). The formula for linear momentum is: p = m x v.

3. What is the principle of conservation of momentum?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system (a system with no external forces acting on it) remains constant. This means that the total momentum before an event or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the event or interaction.

4. How is impulse related to linear momentum?

Impulse is a change in an object's linear momentum. It is the product of a force acting on an object and the time interval in which the force is applied. In equation form, impulse (J) is equal to the force (F) multiplied by the change in time (Δt): J = F x Δt.

5. How are linear momentum and impulse used in real-world applications?

Linear momentum and impulse are used in a variety of real-world applications, including sports, engineering, and transportation. In sports, understanding momentum and impulse can help athletes improve their performance, such as in long jump or ice skating. In engineering, these concepts are important for designing structures and machines that can handle forces and impacts. In transportation, momentum and impulse are crucial for understanding how vehicles move and how to design safety features, such as airbags, to protect passengers in the event of a collision.