Linear momentum problem with n particles

In summary: Label these points L, R, and C. Now ask yourself what is the rate at which beads enter the system from the left and exit the system from the right? Personally, I would attack this problem from a different angle. Make it about a system. Draw the boundaries of your system at the point where beads enter the system from the left horizontally, at the point where they...exit the system from the right horizontally, and at the point where they collide. Label these points L, R, and C. Now ask yourself what is the rate at which beads enter the system from the left and exit the system from the right?
hquang001
Homework Statement
A stream of elastic glass beads, each with a mass of 0.50 g, comes out of a horizontal tube at a rate of 100 per second. The beads fall a distance of to a balance pan and bounce back to their original height. How much mass must be placed in the other pan of the balance to keep the pointer at zero?
Relevant Equations
[tex] F = \displaystyle{\frac{\bigtriangleup{p}}{\bigtriangleup{t}}} = n.m.v [/tex]

[tex] KE_{initial} + PE_{initial} = KE_{final} + PE_{final}[/tex]
To find the mass in other pan, i need to find the force caused by beads on the pan
∴ KEinitial + PEinitial = KEfinal + PEfinal
0 + mgh = ½ mv^2
=> v = 3.13 m/s

∴ The change in momentum :
p2 - p1 = m ( v2-v1) = m( v - (-v)) = 2mv

∴ F = Δp / Δt = n. m. v
How can i apply the rate of 100 per second in this equation ?

1614765819817.png

Physics news on Phys.org
hquang001 said:
F = Δp / Δt = n. m. v
What is n in that equation? What dimension must it have to make the equation consistent?

Likes hquang001
haruspex said:
What is n in that equation? What dimension must it have to make the equation consistent?
n is the number of particles or in this case glass beads and its unit is 1/s i think ?

and so i think 100/s = 1/ Δt => Δt = 1s/100

=> F = 0.313 N
=> M = 0.313/ 9.81 = 31.9 g

Last edited:
hquang001 said:
n is the number of particles or in this case glass beads and its unit is 1/s i think ?
If n is just a number of beads, how can it have units 1/s? It must the number of beads per some period of time.
hquang001 said:
=> F = 0.313 N
How do you get that? Please show your steps,

haruspex said:
If n is just a number of beads, how can it have units 1/s? It must the number of beads per some period of time.
I'm not sure about it, but as i read, n is number of beads.

I think because F = n.m.v
F has SI units of kg.m/s^2
on the right side, m.v is [kg.m/s] so i think n should be 1/s so that it has equal unit to force ?
or is it number of beads per second ?
haruspex said:
How do you get that? Please show your steps,
F = Δp / Δt
As i said above, 100/s = 1/ Δt => Δt = 1s/100

so F= Δp / Δt = (2 x 0.0005 x 3.13 ) / (1/100) = 0.313N

the force on this side must be equal to the other pan
so F = M.g => M = 31.9g

hquang001 said:
is it number of beads per second ?
Yes.
hquang001 said:
so F= Δp / Δt = (2 x 0.0005 x 3.13 ) / (1/100) = 0.313N
Ok, that is right. I was thrown by not having picked up an earlier error. Given your calculation of v, you should have written F=nm(2v).

haruspex said:
Ok, that is right. I was thrown by not having picked up an earlier error. Given your calculation of v, you should have written F=nm(2v).
Oh if so "v" in n.m.v is the change in velocityi just showed the full formula with the part n.m.v but didn't know how to deal with this part so i used instead Δp / Δt

hquang001 said:
Oh if so "v" in n.m.v is the change in velocity
Yes.

Is the "original height" to which the beads bounce back given some place and I missed it?
Also, if "v" is indeed 3.13 m/s calculated from energy conservation as shown in posting #1, then it must be the speed.
In that case, the equation
hquang001 said:
F= Δp / Δt = (2 x 0.0005 x 3.13 ) / (1/100) = 0.313N
is, strictly speaking, incorrect. If the bead reaches the same height after the collision, its speed must be the same just before and just after the collision and therefore does not change. What changes is the vertical component of the velocity. It would be cleaner to use kinematics to calculate this vertical component just before the collision and label it vy rather than v in the momentum transfer equations.

kuruman said:
Is the "original height" to which the beads bounce back given some place and I missed it?
Also, if "v" is indeed 3.13 m/s calculated from energy conservation as shown in posting #1, then it must be the speed.
In that case, the equation

is, strictly speaking, incorrect. If the bead reaches the same height after the collision, its speed must be the same just before and just after the collision and therefore does not change. What changes is the vertical component of the velocity. It would be cleaner to use kinematics to calculate this vertical component just before the collision and label it vy rather than v in the momentum transfer equations.
Oh i missed it, the height should be 0.5 m.
and yes the speed does not change that's why the Δp = m( v -(-v) ) but it's not really clear written as you said

hquang001 said:
How can i apply the rate of 100 per second in this equation ?

View attachment 279048
Personally, I would attack this problem from a different angle. Make it about a system. Draw the boundaries of your system at the point where beads enter the system from the left horizontally, at the point where they exit the system on the right horizontally and at the bottom where they interact with the pan.

The number of beads in the system is constant (plus or minus one bead - negligible) and its vertical momentum is constant (on average). So enumerate the places where momentum is gained or lost and write down a momentum balance.

It may be useful to realize that a force and a rate of transfer of momentum over time are essentially the same thing.

Likes hquang001

1. What is linear momentum?

Linear momentum is a physical quantity that measures the motion of an object in a straight line. It is the product of an object's mass and its velocity, and is represented by the symbol p. In simpler terms, linear momentum is the amount of "oomph" or force that an object has when it is moving.

2. How is linear momentum calculated?

Linear momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for linear momentum is p = m * v, where p is the linear momentum, m is the mass of the object, and v is its velocity. The unit of measurement for linear momentum is kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s).

3. What is the conservation of linear momentum?

The conservation of linear momentum states that the total linear momentum of a closed system (a system with no external forces acting on it) remains constant over time. This means that in a closed system, the total linear momentum before an event or interaction is equal to the total linear momentum after the event or interaction.

4. How does the number of particles affect the linear momentum problem?

In a linear momentum problem with multiple particles, the total linear momentum of the system is calculated by adding together the individual linear momenta of each particle. This means that the more particles there are in a system, the more complex the calculation of linear momentum becomes.

5. What factors can affect the linear momentum of a system?

The linear momentum of a system can be affected by changes in mass, velocity, or direction of motion of the particles within the system. External forces, such as friction or collisions, can also affect the linear momentum of a system. In a closed system, the total linear momentum will remain constant unless acted upon by an external force.