1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear operators and a change of basis

1. Sep 17, 2008 #1
    So...I've got an operator.

Omega = (i*h-bar)/sqrt(2)[ |2><1| + |3><2| - |1><2| - |2><3| ]

Part a asks if this is Hermitian, and my answer, unless I'm missing something, is no. Because the second part in square brackets is |1><2| + |2><3| - |2><1| - |2><3| which is not the same as Omega.

The second part asks to construct the matrix Omega(ij) = <i|Omega|j> that represents this operator in the basis {|1>, |2>, |3>}. I figured it out to be
    0 1 0
    1 0 1 all multiplied by that funky complex factor at the beginning.
    0 1 0

Or so I think.

The third part is where it gets tricky. It gives a new basis {|1'>, |2'>, |3'>} that's somewhat complicated looking and written in terms of the original basis vectors. It asks to write out the operator

U = (from i=1 to 3) SUM(|i'><i|)

in terms of the kets {|1>, |2>, |3>} and bras {<1|, <2|, <3|}. And it asks if the operator is unitary. My problem is this....how do I go about writing out this operator?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2008 #2
    I don't think your reason for it being non-Hermitian makes sense. The part in brackets can't be the same as Omega because there's a factor out the front, could you clarify what you meant? I would say that Omega is not because <2|O(1)> does not equal <O(2)|1>.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?