Linear Transformation and Isomorphism

In summary: No, nobody forces you to have anything. But when you are trying to find the kernel, you are trying to find all possible inputs for which the output is 0. So, for [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]z[/itex], you are asking, "What values of [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]z[/itex] will make the first equation true?" For [itex]y[/itex], you are asking, "What values of [itex]y[/itex] will make the second equation true?" That means, for [itex]y[/itex] you are not considering [itex]x[/itex
says

Homework Statement

Given the transformation fh : R 3 → R 3 defined by fh(x, y, z) = (x−hz, x+y −hz, −hx+z), where h ∈ R is a parameter.
a) Find, for all possible values of h, Ker(fh), Im(fh), their bases and dimensions.
b) Is fh an isomorphism for some value of h?

Homework Equations

Ax=o

The Attempt at a Solution

[ x−hz ]
[ x+y −hz ]
[ −hx+z ]

Matrix associated to the linear transformation =

[ 1 0 -h ]
[ 1 1 -h ]
[ -h 0 1 ]Reduced row echelon form =
[ 1 0 -h ]
[ 0 1 0 ]
[ -h 0 1 ]

x - hz = 0
y=0
-hx+z=0

Therefore h = 1.

ker(fn)

[ 1 0 -1 ]
[ 0 1 0 ] = 0
[ -1 0 1 ]

ker(fn) = span { (1,0,-1) , (-1,0,1) } = range(ker(fn))

To find the Im(fn) we will firstly set up the original matrix with h=1

[ 1 0 -1 ]
[ 1 1 -1 ]
[ -1 0 1 ]

Then transpose =

[ 1 1 -1 ]
[ 0 1 0 ]
[ -1 -1 1 ]

Row reduced echelon form of the transposed matrix =

[ 1 0 -1 ]
[ 0 1 0 ]
[ 0 0 0 ]

Im(fn) = span { (1,0,-1) }

Dimension of the ker(fn) and Im(fn) = 1

Because this is the only vector in the Im(fn) it also = the range(fn). I'm still a bit confused about what the range of a linear transformation is and how to find it.

I'm not really sure where to start with part b) of the question...
The only time the matrix will = 0 is when x,y,z = 0 (trivial solution) so I would say it is an isomorph, but I'm not totally sure.

[ 1 0 -1 ]
[ 1 1 -1 ]
[ -1 0 1 ]

Physics news on Phys.org
Call ##{\cal B} = \{ e_1, e_2, e_3 \}## the canonical base of ##\mathbb{R}^3##. Can you show that if ##h\notin \{-1,1\}##, then ##f_h({\cal B}) ## is linearly independent? Then why is ##f_h({\cal B})## is a base of ##\mathbb{R}^3##? Why does it prove that ##f_h## is an automorphism of ##\mathbb{R}^3## ?

If ##h\in\{-1,1\}##, then ##f_h({\cal B})## is linearly dependant but generates ##\text{Im}(f_h)##. Can't you easily find a free subfamily that generates ##\text{Im}(f_h)##? What does it tell you about the rank of ##f_h## ?

e1 e2 e3
[ 1 0 -h ]
[ 1 1 -h ]
[ -h 0 1 ]

iff h = 2

[ 1 0 -2 ]
[ 1 1 -2 ]
[ -2 0 1 ]

fh(B) is linearly independent if we row reduce the matrix above.

The Im(Fh) that I calculated above was linearly dependent.

Rank of fh is 1. for Im(fh) rank = 2

Can't you easily find a free subfamily that generates ##\text{Im}(f_h)##? What does it tell you about the rank of ##f_h## ?[/QUOTE said:
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking here, sorry.

Unless I'm wrong, ##f_h(e_1) = (1,1,-h)##, ##f_h(e_2) = (0,1,0)##, and ##f_h(e_3) = (-h,-h,1)##.
First of all, at what condition ##f_h(e_1),f_h(e_2)## and ##f_h(e_3)## are linearly independant ? Unless you prove me wrong, this condition is ##h\notin \{ -1,1 \}##. Do we agree at that point ?

They are linearly independent if h = 2

Ok, but they are linearly independent in many more cases

Ok let's say we agree. The important result here, and it must be somewhere in your algebra notes in a more general form is :

##f_h## is bijective if and only ##\{ f(e_1), f(e_2), f(e_3) \}## is a base of ##\mathbb{R}^3##.

So that for ##h\notin \{-1,1\}##, your function is bijective, so it's kernel is ##\{0\}##, it's image is ##\mathbb{R}^3##. Bases and dimensions for the image and the kernel are very easy.

The less easy case is when ##h\in\{-1,1\}##. Here ##f_h## is not bijective. ##( f(e_1), f(e_2), f(e_3) )## is a linearly dependent family that spans the image of ##f_h##. You can find a linearly independent subfamily that also spans the image of ##f_h##, that is to say a base of ##\text{Im}(f_h)##.

revisiting an old post. Hope this is ok...

ker (fh) = span { ( 1,0,-1) , (-1,0,1) } dimension = 2
iff h=1
[ 1 0 -1 ]
[ 1 1 -1 ]
[ -1 0 1 ]

Transpose the matrix (above) and row reduce. We get:

[ 1 0 -1]
[ 0 1 0 ]
[ 0 0 0 ]

Im ((fh) = span { ( 1,0,-1) } dimension = 1

says said:

Homework Statement

Given the transformation fh : R 3 → R 3 defined by fh(x, y, z) = (x−hz, x+y −hz, −hx+z), where h ∈ R is a parameter.
a) Find, for all possible values of h, Ker(fh), Im(fh), their bases and dimensions.
b) Is fh an isomorphism for some value of h?

Homework Equations

Ax=o

The Attempt at a Solution

[ x−hz ]
[ x+y −hz ]
[ −hx+z ]

Matrix associated to the linear transformation =

[ 1 0 -h ]
[ 1 1 -h ]
[ -h 0 1 ]

Why bother with matrices and echelon forms, etc.? The kernel is just the set
[tex] \text{Ker}(fh) = \{(x,y,z): x-hz=0,x+y-hz=0, z-hx=0 \}, [/tex]
which can easily be solved/analyzed without using any matrix tools (which actually add nothing to the analysis). The image is
[tex] \text{Im}(fh) = \{(p,q,r): x-hz=p, x+y-hz=q, z-hx=r \:\text{for some} \: x,y,z \}. [/tex]
Again, solving by high-school algebra is as fast a way as any.

Once you have solved both these questions the answers to the others drop out almost immediately.

Your conclusions about the value of h, etc., are ill-considered. For instance, in your first analysis you conclude that h = 1. Well, who says you need h = 1? What happens if you do not have h = 1? Nobody forces you to have h = 1 in the original transformation!

No one forces me to have x=1 either though do they? That's where I get confused. If one variable can take on any value then why can't another?

says said:
No one forces me to have x=1 either though do they? That's where I get confused. If one variable can take on any value then why can't another?

Well, if you have h = 1, then Ker(fh) and Im(fh) have a certain form. If you have h = -1, then Ker(fh) and Im(fh) have some other form. And, if you have h ≠ -1,1, still other forms of Ker(fh) and/or Im(fh) occur. Since h is allowed to be anything, you need to figure these out in order to be sure you have covered all possibilities, and to be able to describe what happens as h varies.

And, while it is true that when h = 1 nobody forces you to have some particular value for x (for example), the issue is that if your point (x,y,z) is in Ker(f1), then you are, indeed, forced to take certain values; if you fail to take those values your point fails to fall into the set Ker(f1).

Last edited:

1) What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another, preserving the properties of addition and scalar multiplication. In simpler terms, it is a transformation that does not change the shape of an object, but can change its size, orientation, and location.

2) What is an isomorphism?

An isomorphism is a type of linear transformation that is bijective, meaning it is both one-to-one and onto. This means that each element in the input vector space has a unique corresponding element in the output vector space, and vice versa. In other words, an isomorphism preserves the structure and properties of the original vector space.

3) How do you determine if a transformation is linear?

To determine if a transformation is linear, you can apply the two properties that define a linear transformation: preservation of addition and scalar multiplication. If the transformation maintains these properties, it is linear. Another way to check is by using matrices; a transformation is linear if it can be represented by a matrix that satisfies the matrix multiplication properties.

4) What is the difference between an isomorphism and a linear transformation?

The main difference between an isomorphism and a linear transformation is that an isomorphism is a special type of linear transformation that is bijective. This means that an isomorphism not only preserves the properties of a linear transformation, but also preserves the structure and properties of the original vector space.

5) In what real-world applications are linear transformations and isomorphisms used?

Linear transformations and isomorphisms are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are particularly useful in solving systems of linear equations, analyzing geometric shapes and patterns, and creating 3D models. In computer graphics, isomorphisms are used to rotate, scale, and translate objects in a virtual space.