Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear transformation between bases

1. Sep 6, 2009 #1
    Hi !

I am a little bit confused with notation in the following:

Let A=

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}
    2 & 3 & 4 \\
    8 & 5 & 1 \\
    \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

and consider A as a linear transformation mapping [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex] to [tex]\mathbb{R}^2[/tex]. Find the matix representation of A with respect to the bases

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}
    1\\
    1\\
    0\\
    \end{bmatrix} , [/tex] [tex]\begin{bmatrix}
    0\\
    1\\
    1\\
    1\\
    0\\
    1\\
    \end{bmatrix} [/tex] of [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex] and

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}
    3\\
    1\\
    2\\
    1\\
    \end{bmatrix} [/tex] of [tex]\mathbb{R}^2[/tex]

It seems to be a lot of A´s in here with different meanings, and I suppose it is what confuses me :(. Anyway I solved it as follows:

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}
    3 & 2\\
    1 & 1\\
    \end{bmatrix}^{-1} * [/tex] [tex]\begin{bmatrix}
    2 & 3 & 4\\
    8 & 5 & 1\\
    \end{bmatrix} * [/tex] [tex]\begin{bmatrix}
    1 & 0 & 1\\
    1 & 1 & 0\\
    0 & 1 & 1\\
    \end{bmatrix} = [/tex] [tex]\begin{bmatrix}
    -21 & -5 & -12\\
    34 & 11 & 21\\
    \end{bmatrix} [/tex]
    I am still not sure that I have not confused myself with all the different A´s :( Am I on the right track or completely lost ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2009 #2
    I think you are right but no guarantees. Just as a vector has different representations (components) in different bases, a matrix has different representations in different bases.

4. Sep 6, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In general, to find the matrix representation of A, from U to V, with [itex]\{u_1, u_2, ..., u_n\}[/itex] a basis for U and [itex]\{v_1, v_2, ..., v_m\}[/itex] a basis for V:

Apply A to each of [itex]\{u_1, u_2, ..., u_n\}[/itex] in turn and write the result as a linear combination of the [itex]\{v_1, v_2, ..., v_m\}[/itex]. The coefficients form the columns of the matrix.

for example, here
    [tex]u_1= \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 1 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    so
    [tex]Au_1= \begin{bmatrix}2 & 3 & 4 \\8 & 5 & 1 \\\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 1 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}5 \\ 13\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Now, [5, 13]= a[3, 1]+ b[2, 1] gives 3a+ 2b= 5 and a+ b= 13. Multiplying the second equation by 2, 2a+ 2b= 26 and, subtracting that from the first equation a= -21. -21+ b= 13 gives b= 34. The first column of the matrix you want is
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}-21 \\ 34\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  5. Sep 6, 2009 #4
    Thx for the replies. Thank you for a very clear and good explanation (HallsofIvy), the book I am reading is very compact and does not give very good explanations. There was a typo in the end of your reply:

[tex] \begin{bmatrix}-21 \\ 13\end{bmatrix} [/tex]

should be

[tex] \begin{bmatrix}-21 \\ 34\end{bmatrix} [/tex]

6. Sep 6, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Right! Thanks.

No, I'll go back and edit my post so I can claim I never made that silly mistake!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook