Linearity in the Vector triple product

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the vector triple product and its properties. The vector triple product of x, y, and z can be written as a linear combination of the vectors ±y and ±z, since it lies in the plane formed by y and z. Linearity in vectors means that when a vector is multiplied by a scalar, the result is also a vector. The left-hand side of the equation is a linear function of x because when x is multiplied by a scalar, the triple product also gets multiplied by that scalar. Theorem 4.2.5 states that a function ƒ from ℝ^3 to ℝ is linear if it transforms a vector into a scalar, and this can be illustrated with examples.
PcumP_Ravenclaw
Dear all, I am trying to understand the vector triple product.
## x\times (y \times z) ##
As the vector triple product of x,y and z lies in the plane ## (y \times z) ## the vector ## x\times (y \times z) ## can be written as a linear combination of the vectors ## \pm y ## & ## \pm z##

In the passage attached, can anyone please explain this " As the left-hand side is a linear-function of x so is the right-hand side and this means that α and β are linear scalar valued functions of x"

Please show how the left-hand side is a linear function of x. What does linearity in vectors mean? Can anyone please explain in a bit of detail.

Also, what does Linear scalar valuesd functions of x mean? Please explain Theorem 4.2.5. To my understanding, this function changes a vector into a scalar. What does it mean to say ## f : ℝ^3 → ℝ ## is linear. Please give examples.

Danke..

Attachments

• VTP.jpg
    VTP.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 468
Mathematics news on Phys.org
PcumP_Ravenclaw said:
Please show how the left-hand side is a linear function of x. What does linearity in vectors mean? Can anyone please explain in a bit of detail.
If you multiply x by 5 (for example), the triple product gets multiplied by 5 as well. If you write x as (a+b) and calculate the triple-product with them individually, you can add the result to get the total result again.
This looks nicer when written as equations, but I'm sure you can find those in your textbook. Linearity is a very general concept, it does not matter if you have scalars, vectors or other mathematical objects.

Likes PcumP_Ravenclaw
In the equation ## X \times (Y \times Z) = (X \cdot a)Y + (X \cdot b)Z##. ## X ## is vector/cross multiplying ##(Y \times Z)## on the left-hand side but on the right-hand side it is scalar/dot multiplying so how is that possible. if it vector multiplies on the left it should also vector multiply on the right also, am I correct??

How do I relate theorem 4.2.5

## ƒ : ℝ^3 → ℝ ##, ## x \mapsto x \cdot a ##

with ## (X \cdot a)Y + (X \cdot b)Z ## ??

Danke..

Where does that equation come from and how is it related to 4.2.5?

The equation comes from the text I have attached. Theorem 4.2.5 is related to the equatino by linearity. I don't know how to relate them?? Maybe you can use examples to illustrate linearity.

That equation does not have a and b. For the left side, for example, x*z is a scalar, this scalar gets multiplied with the vector y and you have a vector again.

Linearity appears in another instance as well as attached. Please explain the highlighted text. What about the other vectors of X formed from ## Y,Z, Y \times Z ##.

Danke..

Attachments

• vtp2.jpg
    vtp2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 443

1. What is linearity in the vector triple product?

Linearity in the vector triple product refers to the property that the operation follows the rules of linearity, meaning it obeys the distributive, associative, and commutative laws of vector algebra.

2. How is linearity applied in the vector triple product?

In the vector triple product, linearity is applied by using the distributive property to expand the operation into a sum of individual vector triple products. This allows for the expression of the operation in terms of the dot and cross products of the vectors involved.

3. What are the advantages of linearity in the vector triple product?

The use of linearity in the vector triple product allows for simplification and manipulation of complex vector expressions, making it a powerful tool in vector algebra. It also enables the extension of the vector triple product to higher dimensions.

4. Can linearity be applied to any number of vectors in the triple product?

Yes, linearity can be applied to any number of vectors in the triple product. The operation can be expanded into a sum of individual vector triple products, each involving three vectors. However, it should be noted that the order of the vectors does matter in the triple product.

5. What are some applications of linearity in the vector triple product?

Linearity in the vector triple product is commonly used in physics and engineering applications, such as in the calculation of torque or moment of a force on a rigid body. It is also useful in solving problems involving vector equations and in simplifying complex vector calculations.