Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linking to other threads in PF

1. Jun 14, 2017 #1
    I recently asked about how to make the short links to other threads.
    jbriggs44 showed me this:
    [URL=https://www.physicsforums.com/help/bb-codes]like this[/URL][/QUOTE]

Then Drakkith said "Highlight the text in your post you want to make into a link, and then click on the icon that looks like a chain."

I don't see any chain icons. The only icon I see is the large sigma (to insert symbols). Oddly, when I use that, it inserts the selected symbol at the very start of my reply/post (it doesn't insert at the cursor location).

Why can't I see all of the tool icons?

Internet Explorer 11, on a computer at work.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2017 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

You don't see the reply box like I have it and the link button (circled in red using a touchpad while half-standing)?

blah.jpg

4. Jun 14, 2017 #3

Drakkith

Hmm. I'm typing this up on Microsoft Edge and everything is identical to how it is on Chrome.
    Perhaps try another browser if you can?

5. Jun 14, 2017 #4
    No, I see only the one icon (∑) in the middle of the "toolbar" where you show B I U ... and all the rest.

6. Jun 14, 2017 #5

berkeman

When you hover over that icon, what does it say? Maybe it expands the toolbar?

7. Jun 14, 2017 #6
    No, it just lights up and a little box opens below/next to it, saying "Insert Symbol"

8. Jun 14, 2017 #7

berkeman

9. Jun 14, 2017 #8
  10. Jun 14, 2017 #9

berkeman

Great! BTW, one thing that can confuse the browser and make it not display all of the menu items is if the browser window is sized too narrow. You might try pulling our the window sideways, or just maximizing it to see if the other icons become visible.

11. Jun 14, 2017 #10

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe your employer has disabled some browser feature.

For example, I know my own employer has disabled Javascript on all our browsers at work. But I only use PF at home on my own computer.

12. Jun 14, 2017 #11

OCR

You can also just highlight the post number and right click copy, then paste it in the text box ... #8
    Hint... open it in a new tab, also.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted