Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Liquid Drop Model of the Nucleus

1. May 10, 2009 #1
    Looking at the liquid drop model of the nucleus and the semi-empirical formula for the atomic mass of the nucleus.

I understand the formula but I'm trying to figure out why some nuclei are unstable against both beta- and beta+ decay. Any ideas? I assume it's something to do with the symmetry term?

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2009 #2
    Are you talking about stable nuclei, or those that decay only by k-shell electron capture?

4. May 10, 2009 #3
    Hi Bob,

Im talking about a nucleus that can undergoe either b+ or b- decay. There is a way of showing some can decay either way but i cant see it from the liquid drop model....the semi emperical formula can give mass and binding energy, the more i look into it the more i think that its the binding energy that will determine if it decays, but doesnt say whether it can decay by b+ or b-, or in my case both...

I hope that makes it a little clearer!

5. May 10, 2009 #4
    Here is what Wikipedia says about copper 64, an odd-odd nucleus that can decay by either electron (beta-) decay, positron (beta+) decay, or k-shell electron-capture. So Cu-64 decays 3 ways.

Wiki says
    64Cu has a half-life of 12.701 ± 0.002 hours and decays by 17.86 (± 0.14)% by positron emission, 39.0 (± 0.3)% by beta decay, 43.075 (± 0.500)% by electron capture and 0.475 (± 0.010)% gamma radiation/internal conversion. These emissions are 0.5787 (± 0.0009) and 0.6531 (± 0.0002) MeV for positron and beta respectively and 1.35477 (± 0.00016) MeV for gamma.

6. May 11, 2009 #5

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

7. May 11, 2009 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Nuclei that can beta decay in either direction (Cu-64 is an example, as is V-50) will do so if it is energetically favorable to do so. This normally happens when the parent nucleus is doubly odd - high spin helps as well. This gives a large energy gap with respect to the daughters.

8. May 11, 2009 #7
    Cheers for the answers, helped me alot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook