Liquid Volume of a Frustum of a Cone

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
labsean
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I have been searching online for help with this equation but have found nothing at this stage.

I am looking for an equation to satisfy the Volume of a Frustum of a cone. The liquid level is measured via a sensor located in the centre point, top circle(area) of the furstum. I am looking for a formula for, that any level of liquid within the tank, a volume will be given.


Homework Equations


the frustum is measured at: h=6m; D=5m and d=3m...note the frustum is bottom heavy(gets wider towards the base)


The Attempt at a Solution


My understanding of this is, that a Volume for any level of liquid = Volume of frustum above the liguid line - Volume of the frustum below the liquid line.

Thanks in advance, any help is greatly appriciated.


Sean
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If I remember what a frustum is properly then you can make one large cone and subtract a smaller cone. (if you extend the sides of the smaller diameter to a point you would get a cone)