1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Related Rates - Frustum of a Cone

1. Dec 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A large container has the shape of a frustum of a cone with top radius 9 metres , bottom radius 2 metres , and height 7 metres. The container is being filled with water at the constant rate of 4.2 cubic meters per minute.
    At what rate is the level of water rising at the instant the water is 1 metre deep?

2. Relevant equations
    V = 1/3∏ (r^2) * h
    Internet Says the volume of a frustum of a cone is V = (∏ * h / 3) (R^2 + Rr + r^2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know where to start with this one, I think I have to find some relationship between the height of the cone and the radius of the cone, however, I don't know which radius to use. Once I isolate h with V, I can just derive it and substitute 4.2 for dV/dt, 1 for h, and find dh/dt. Any tips on how to relate radius to height in this situation? Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Have you drawn a picture?

4. Dec 6, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Looked at from the side, a frustrum of a cone is a trapezoid. If you set up a coordinate system with origin at the center of the smaller face, then the two sides are two lines, one passing through (r, 0) and (R, h). you can write the equation for that line and so get a relation between x (the radius) and y (the height) at each point.

5. Dec 6, 2013 #4
    Hmm, i've tried drawing a picture, but it didn't help.

That trapezoid idea might work, i'll try it, thanks!

6. Dec 6, 2013 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

A picture by itself probably won't help, but if you draw it on a coordinate system and identify the points on the picture by their coordinates, as HallsOfIvy suggests, it will be useful.

For problems like these it's always a good idea to draw a picture, as described above.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  7. Dec 6, 2013 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

This is the picture I was wondering if you drew.

8. Dec 6, 2013 #7

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No picture.

9. Dec 6, 2013 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I meant I was wondering if he had drawn the trapezoid picture Halls had described. I didn't attach a picture.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted