Liquidity & Leverage Problem (With solution included.) (This may be

• Thread starter s3a
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem related to liquidity and leverage, specifically focusing on analyzing accounting ratios such as the quick ratio, equity ratio, debt-to-equity ratio, and book value. The solution for part (v) of the problem is attached, but the person is seeking clarification on how to arrive at the answer. The concept of liquidity is defined as the ability to quickly convert assets into cash without losing value and is calculated by dividing liquid assets by short-term liabilities. In the case of the problem being discussed, the liquidity ratio is 1.1, which indicates that the company has liquidity problems but its leverage is still within acceptable limits.
s3a
“Liquidity & Leverage” Problem (With solution included.) (This may be

Title (doesn't show fully in the actual title):
“Liquidity & Leverage” Problem (With solution included.) (This may be related to accounting ratios.)

Body:

Homework Statement

The problem is attached as TheProblem.jpg, and the solution is attached as TheSolution.jpg.

Homework Equations

Quick ratio: (Cash and Cash Equivalent + Marketable Securities + Accounts receivable)/(Current Liabilities)

Equity ratio: (Total Shareholder's Equity)/(Total assets)

Debt-to-equity ratio: (Total Liabilities)/(Equity)

Book value: (Total Assets) - (Intangible Assets) - (Liabilities)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to do part (v), but I'm not sure I understand how to do it. I don't really understand the answer given either. I have a feeling that it involves analyzing ratios, but I'm not sure about what to do, specifically.

Any help in getting me to understand how to answer part (v) would be GREATLY appreciated!

Attachments

• TheProblem.jpg
    TheProblem.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 372
  • TheSolution.jpg
    TheSolution.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 339
Physics news on Phys.org
How is liquidity defined? What values does it take and what do they mean?

Liquidation is an act of exchanging a less liquid asset for a more liquid asset.

A liquid asset is an asset in the form of money or cash in hand, or an asset which can be quickly converted into cash without losing much value.

(Liquidity ratio) = (Liquid Assets)/(Short-Term Liabilities), where, if I'm correct, Liquid Assets is defined above, and Short-Term Liabilities is “debt in the immediate present”.

Is this correct (in the case of the problem I posted)?:
(Liquidity ratio) = (10 000 + 25 000 + 15 000 + 5 000)/(35 000 + 15 000) = 1.1

Assuming the above is correct, how do I tie this to the solution given (which says “Liquidity problems; leverage within acceptable limits”)?

1. What is the liquidity and leverage problem?

The liquidity and leverage problem is a financial issue that arises when a company has insufficient cash or assets to meet its financial obligations, while also carrying a high level of debt. This can make it difficult for the company to cover its short-term expenses, such as payroll and bills, and can lead to financial instability.

2. How does the liquidity and leverage problem affect a company?

The liquidity and leverage problem can have a significant impact on a company's operations and financial health. It can lead to difficulties in paying suppliers and employees, the inability to take advantage of new business opportunities, and a decrease in credit ratings. In extreme cases, it can even result in bankruptcy.

3. What are the potential causes of the liquidity and leverage problem?

There are several factors that can contribute to the liquidity and leverage problem. These include excessive borrowing, poor cash management, high levels of fixed costs, and declining sales or market conditions. Additionally, unexpected events such as natural disasters or economic downturns can also contribute to the problem.

4. How can a company address the liquidity and leverage problem?

There are several strategies that a company can use to address the liquidity and leverage problem. These include reducing debt levels, improving cash flow through better management of receivables and payables, increasing sales and revenue, and reducing fixed costs. It may also be necessary to seek outside financing or restructure debt agreements.

5. What are some warning signs of the liquidity and leverage problem?

There are several red flags that may indicate a company is facing a liquidity and leverage problem. These can include a high debt-to-equity ratio, declining profit margins, missed payments to suppliers or lenders, and a decrease in credit ratings. It is important for companies to regularly monitor their financial health and address any warning signs promptly to avoid a potential crisis.