List of index notation properties ?

In summary, index notation properties refer to the rules and conventions used for writing mathematical expressions involving indices or exponents. These properties include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule, which are used to simplify and manipulate expressions with indices. Other important properties include the zero and negative exponents rules, as well as the laws of logarithms and exponents. Understanding and applying these properties is crucial in solving and simplifying complex algebraic equations and expressions.
juliette sekx
list of index notation properties ??

Is there a list of index notation properties somewhere on the web ??

I'm just looking for a pdf file that I can reference while manipulating tensors using index notation (and summation convention). I'm not looking for proofs at all, just a quick reference sheet, if one exists.

THanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Depends on what you are looking for. I.e. what are "index manipulations"?
Do they include (Kronecker) delta's and (Levi-Civita) epsilon's?
Raising and lowering of indices?
Covariant differentiation?
Transformation properties under coordinate changes?

CompuChip said:
Depends on what you are looking for. I.e. what are "index manipulations"?
Do they include (Kronecker) delta's and (Levi-Civita) epsilon's?
Raising and lowering of indices?
Covariant differentiation?
Transformation properties under coordinate changes?

That's right, I'm looking for a reference sheet that has as many properties (like the ones you quoted) as possible. Even if there's 4 separate sources that each have some of the above properties listed, that would be helpful too.

Thank you!

What is index notation?

Index notation is a mathematical notation used to represent and manipulate vectors, matrices, and tensors. It is also known as Einstein notation or tensor notation.

What are the properties of index notation?

The properties of index notation include linearity, associativity, commutativity, distributivity, and contraction.

How is linearity defined in index notation?

Linearity in index notation means that the operations of addition and scalar multiplication can be applied to individual indices separately.

What is the significance of associativity in index notation?

Associativity in index notation means that the grouping of indices does not affect the result of the operation.

How does contraction work in index notation?

Contraction in index notation involves summing over a paired upper and lower index, resulting in a scalar quantity. It is also known as summation convention or Einstein summation.