Livionex dental gel --a plausible improvement on toothpaste?

• Thread starter rollete
  • Start date
In summary, Livionex is a dental gel that uses Edathamil, a chelating agent, to reduce the biofilm on teeth. There is research that suggests it can be effective in reducing plaque and tooth decay, but it is expensive and there is a need for a larger RCT trial before it can be recommended to people.
rollete
This dental gel aims to disrupt the toothpaste market with a new mechanism of action. As far as I understand, brushing with it boosts the negative charge on tooth surfaces, making it more difficult for bacteria to attach... even though bacteria are also negatively charged...

Presumably, this should help to significantly reduce plaque build up, which would prevent a huge host of gum/dental problems. At the same time, it seems to help remineralize enamel in the absense of fluoride and hydroxylapatite.

The makers explain this stuff on their website. Here's also a reddit post about this product. Bunch of links to presumably scientific sources.

So what y'all think? Quackery or can this actually work?

It's very intriguing because, in theory, this looks like a potential dental plaque/decay panacea.

One thought: I don't entirely understand for how long the effect of each brushing is supposed to last... But if the negative charging effect of each brushing is immediate (as in, not needing a setting time like a fluoride toothpaste), relatively long-lasting and cumulative over time, wouldn't brushing with this 20 times per day for 3 days render teeth practically as bacteria repellent, or more, as if they had been brushed twice daily for 1 month?

EDIT: I'm not really sure if this is the best forum for this thread. Feel free to move it to a more appropriate venue for theoretical discussion, if necessary.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The price listed is $USD20 for a single tube. Most ADA accepted dentifrices of similar size are between 10% and 20% of that cost. This does not have ADA certification.

Livionex uses Edathamil - a brand name for EDTA - a chelating agent. The idea is to reduce the biofilm on teeth.
Research is scarce. There are a few papers, two of which specifically measure EDTA dentifrices effects on tooth biofilms.
Example:
A total of 25 patients - this study shows that both regular brushing with a control and an EDTA-based dentifrice BOTH improved clinical aspects of biofilm significantly. EDTA did a better job.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4140948/

This is what I found doing a small literature search. It does not appear that Livionex is harmful. It is very expensive. The site is lots of super-hype for something without much scientific background. It has several pages of home-grown analysis on the two papers. And some unpublished work, too, it seems. A larger RCT trial on about 100+ patients over several months is warranted before someone could rationally spend money at that level on a product with the current minimal science behind the product.

Using the product is strictly up to personal preference. I am moving this thread to General Discussion.

Likes berkeman and Bandersnatch
Yeah, quite a bit more expensive than the norm. For now, they seem to get away with it judging by the huge popularity of the product on Amazon. Probably more worthwhile to gamble for those managing gum disease. For people with health teeth and gums and with no problem with conventional toothpastes, there's probably not much to gain.

The science behind it is pretty intriguing, though.

I believe they are in the process of getting ADA approval.

1. How does Livionex dental gel differ from traditional toothpaste?

Livionex dental gel is a scientifically formulated dental product that uses a unique surfactant technology to remove plaque and prevent its formation. Unlike traditional toothpaste, Livionex does not contain abrasives or detergents, making it gentler on the teeth and gums.

2. Is Livionex dental gel safe to use?

Yes, Livionex dental gel is safe to use and has been extensively tested and approved by the FDA. It does not contain any harmful ingredients such as SLS, triclosan, or parabens.

3. How often should I use Livionex dental gel?

We recommend using Livionex dental gel twice a day, just like traditional toothpaste. However, some individuals may benefit from using it more frequently, such as after meals or snacks.

4. Can Livionex dental gel whiten my teeth?

Livionex dental gel is not marketed as a teeth whitening product. However, because it effectively removes plaque and stains, many users have reported whiter teeth after using it regularly.

5. Is Livionex dental gel suitable for people with sensitive teeth?

Yes, Livionex dental gel is suitable for people with sensitive teeth. Its gentle formula does not contain any harsh ingredients that can irritate the teeth and gums. However, we always recommend consulting with a dentist for personalized recommendations.

Back