How Much Force Must a Nurse Apply to Overcome Blood Pressure Using a Syringe?

  • Thread starter Thread starter talaroue
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Syringe
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
talaroue
Messages
302
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 1.63 mL syringe has an inner diameter of 5.04 mm, a needle inner diameter 0.21 mm, and a plunger pad diameter (where you place your finger) of 1.06 cm. A nurse uses the syringe to inject medicine into a patient whose blood pressure is 140/100. What is the minimum force the nurse needs to apply to the syringe?



Homework Equations



F1/A1=F2/A2

The Attempt at a Solution


I understand that the pressure is constant through out the syringe, but what I don't know how the blood pressure is used. I see that i can use blood pressure=force/(area of needle inner diameter) solve for force. then use the relationship F/A to solve for the tap.

So long story short...does it matter what the blood pressure number is or do i have to change it to Pa/atm some how?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
im so confused about the blood pressure thing. FML
 
Blood pressure is unit force per area, so is that just mean I am left with F1/A1=Blood pressure
 
What is the pressure needed to get the goodies to enter the blood stream?

Blood pressure is measured in mmHg if that is the clue you need.
 
oh that's i couldn't find, let me work knowing that and see if I can figure it out.