Locality in QM and commutators

In summary: However, based on my understanding of causality and locality in QM, entanglement does not involve simultaneous causality. In summary, the concept of causality plays a role in second quantization when doing QFT, but it does not fully explain the non-locality observed in QM, such as entanglement and the Aharonov-Bohm effect. There has been discussion about "simultaneous causality" in philosophy forums, but it is not supported by current understanding of QM.
haushofer
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Hi,

I have a conceptual question concerning causality and locality in QM.

Causality plays a role in second quantization when doing QFT, which one calls "micro-causality"; the commutators between fields disappear when the interval between them is spacelike.

However, how does this fit in the fact that QM is non-local (entanglement, Aharonov-Bohm effect)? Did people consider adjusting second quantization because of this?

Probably this has been asked before :)

Physics news on Phys.org
haushofer said:
Causality plays a role in second quantization when doing QFT, which one calls "micro-causality"; the commutators between fields disappear when the interval between them is spacelike.

However, how does this fit in the fact that QM is non-local (entanglement, Aharonov-Bohm effect)?

This is the old chestnut: "correlation is not causation".

Suppose there's some events at two spacelike-separated spacetime regions A & B.
And suppose these are recorded by observers within those regions. Correlations
between the data at A & B cannot be calculated except within some future spacetime
region C whose past lightcone includes both A and B -- so that information from
both A & B can be transmitted to C.

The fact that commutators between fields in A and B are zero doesn't matter,
since commutators between C & A, and between C & B, are not zero.

strangerep said:

between the data at A & B cannot be calculated except within some future spacetime

I have noticed a thread on some philosphy forums claiming there is somehting called "simulatenous causality" where an outcome and its cause occurr at the same time. It has been claimed that entanglement is an example of this. Your answer woudl seem to imply that this is not correct, do you agree? Can you elaborate?

strangerep said:

I have to think this a bit more through, but I think I get your point. Thanks! :)

skydivephil said:
I have noticed a thread on some philosphy forums claiming there is somehting called "simulatenous causality" where an outcome and its cause occurr at the same time. It has been claimed that entanglement is an example of this. Your answer woudl seem to imply that this is not correct, do you agree? Can you elaborate?

I don't follow philosophy forums, so I'm unable comment without a more specific reference.

1. What is locality in quantum mechanics?

Locality in quantum mechanics refers to the idea that objects and events can only influence each other if they are in close proximity to each other. In other words, there is a limit to the distance over which interactions can occur, known as the locality principle.

2. How does locality relate to the commutator in quantum mechanics?

The commutator in quantum mechanics is a mathematical operation used to describe the relationship between two observables. If the commutator of two observables is zero, it means that they can be measured simultaneously and are considered to be local. If the commutator is non-zero, it indicates that the observables do not commute and are considered to be non-local.

3. Can the commutator be used to test for locality in quantum mechanics?

Yes, the commutator can be used to test for locality in quantum mechanics. If the commutator of two observables is zero, it means that they can be measured simultaneously and are considered to be local. If the commutator is non-zero, it indicates that the observables do not commute and are considered to be non-local.

4. How does the uncertainty principle relate to locality in quantum mechanics?

The uncertainty principle states that certain pairs of physical properties, such as position and momentum, cannot be measured simultaneously with arbitrary precision. This principle is related to locality in quantum mechanics because it limits the precision with which we can measure properties of a system that is non-local.

5. What are the implications of non-locality for our understanding of quantum mechanics?

The concept of non-locality has been a topic of debate and controversy in quantum mechanics. It challenges our classical understanding of causality and the idea that events can only affect each other if they are in close proximity. Non-locality also has implications for the possibilities of quantum entanglement and the potential for instantaneous communication over large distances.