Locked threads should not be featured

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation discussed the issue of featuring locked threads in the New Posts section of Physics Forums. Some users believed that locked threads should not be featured as they cannot be contributed to and may attract troublemakers. However, it was also noted that featuring old threads, including locked ones, can be beneficial as they may contain valuable information. The conclusion was that featured threads should still be held to forum standards and removed from the featured section after a week.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
Wouldn't it make sense that locked threads be disqualified from being featured?
Why do you think this?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Why do you think this?
I guess a combination of two things:
1] Featuring a thread that cannot be contributed to seems kinda mean (in a bait & switch way).
2] I see at least a loose correlation between locked threads and threads that are "not in the PF way" (i.e. there's a reason they're locked).

Both seem to be antithetical to the nature of a "featured" thread.

DaveC426913 said:
1] Featuring a thread that cannot be contributed to seems kinda mean (in a bait & switch way).
2] I see at least a loose correlation between locked threads and threads that are "not in the PF way" (i.e. there's a reason they're locked).

1] I wouldn't think that, as (old) threads would be locked at some point anyway.
but
2] Makes sense to me, as most locked threads, I think, have a posted reason for the locking; with some indicating "not the PF way". But maybe you and I are little paranoid.

I was under the assumption that featured threads were both recent and open. o_O

DaveC426913 said:
Featuring a thread that cannot be contributed to seems kinda mean (in a bait & switch way
In the beginning I featured some threads that were classics but either designed as read only guides/FAQs or were old enough that we closed to prevent necroposting.

Here are the numbers: old threads - 4 (1 closed, 3 open). New threads: 34 (6 closed, 28 open)

Some threads degraded and needing closing. Just because they are featured doesn't mean that they are immune to forum standards.

Evo said:
Just because they are featured doesn't mean that they are immune to forum standards.

Indeed, the correlation appears negative - i.e. the fraction of featured threads that are locked are indeed higher. However, this doesn't mean that troublesome threads are featured; it is at least as likely as the featured threads attract troublemakers.

DaveC426913 said:

Vanadium 50 said:
it is at least as likely as the featured threads attract troublemakers.
Yes, the noise to signal ratio increases. Mentors have waited until they are no longer the thread that appears on the homepage to close. The threads are not expected to remain open indefinitely.

Perhaps after a thread has it's week as "featured", that designation should be removed?

Evo said:
Perhaps after a thread has it's week as "featured", that designation should be removed?
:oldcry: I'm being a little selfish here I guess. :oldcry:

I think this thread should be locked and then listed as a featured thread. :-p

Sorry folks ... I didn't get enough sleep last night and I'm a bit punchy. o_O

phinds said:
I think this thread should be locked and then listed as a featured thread. :-p

Sorry folks ... I didn't get enough sleep last night and I'm a bit punchy. o_O
Crackpot watching ? :D

1. Why are locked threads not featured?

Locked threads are not featured because they are no longer open for discussion. Featuring a locked thread would be counterproductive as it would encourage people to engage in a discussion that is no longer active.

2. Can a locked thread be featured if it contains important information?

No, a locked thread should not be featured even if it contains important information. It is important to keep in mind that featuring a thread means giving it visibility and promoting discussion, which is not possible in a locked thread.

3. Is there a way to feature a specific post or comment within a locked thread?

No, it is not possible to feature a specific post or comment within a locked thread. The entire thread is locked, which means no new comments or posts can be added.

4. Can I unlock a thread and still keep it featured?

No, unlocking a thread automatically removes it from the featured section. This is because featuring a thread while it is unlocked can lead to confusion and disorganized discussions.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rule of not featuring locked threads?

In general, locked threads should not be featured. However, there may be rare exceptions for special situations, such as an important announcement or announcement of a policy change. In these cases, it is up to the discretion of the moderators to feature the locked thread.