Locovore: Eating Local in Almaden, San Jose, Santa Cruz, SFO

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, locovore is the practice of eating food that is grown locally, originating from Almaden, San Jose, Santa Cruz, and SFO. By consuming locally sourced food, locavores decrease the amount of greenhouse gases. There is a website for locavores, but some people use the term to refer to the site's food. Another word used in the conversation is "ennui," which means boredom and has the antonym "Prozac." One person mentions the word "impactful," which they find pretentious, and another person mentions the dish "cha kway tiao," which is a Malaysian fried noodle dish. The conversation also touches on the use of vulgar words in society.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
locovore

the practice of eating food that is grown locally.
Origin: Almaden, San Jose, Santa Cruz, SFO

Being a locovore decreases the amount of greenhouse gases, as the food consumed is sourced locally, instead of being trucked into my city.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=locovore

Physics news on Phys.org
Yipes they grow mostly cotton and pecans around Tucson. I guess I will be getting plenty of fiber in my diet.:smile:

Not a new one, but one of my favorite words: ennui.

ennui -
Antonym: Prozac

We may have to start calling edward, Fast Eddie.

Last edited:
anyone knw the meaning of "cha kway tiao" ?

This word is new, but not my favorite.

I keep running into this new word that I detest: "impactful." Arrrgh. It seems like a pretentious way to say "important." But for some reason when I hear it, it seems to have some unpleasant colonic overtones.

sysreset said:
I keep running into this new word that I detest: "impactful."
It sounds like one of those NASA euphemisms for 'the spacecraft crashed'.
Or, how was your flight - not impactful

MechaMZ said:
anyone knw the meaning of "cha kway tiao" ?

Might you be referring to a dish of Malaysian fried noodles (char kway teow)? It's delicious!

sysreset said:
But for some reason when I hear it, it seems to have some unpleasant colonic overtones.

That was my first thought upon seeing the word: impacted bowel. While I've never experienced the condition myself, I know people who have. It's not pleasant.

most of my favourite words I can't post here. ;-p

TheStatutoryApe said:
most of my favourite words I can't post here. ;-p

Likewise. George Carlin's 'Seven Words That You Can't Say on Telvision' are mere shadows of what goes on in regular society today. (That's not to imply that he's any less of a comedic genius today than he was then.)

That's the problem. There's really only one "vulger" word I like and it's primarily because it's the only one that holds any power any more. Even that one I have seen on a t-shirt worn by a female. I have enough sense to use it only rarely so that it keeps it's kick.

Related to Locovore: Eating Local in Almaden, San Jose, Santa Cruz, SFO

1. What is a "Locovore"?

A Locovore is a person who chooses to eat locally grown or produced food. This means they prioritize food that comes from within a certain geographical region, such as Almaden, San Jose, Santa Cruz, or SFO, instead of buying food that has been transported from far away.

2. Why is eating locally important?

Eating locally has numerous benefits, both for individuals and for the environment. It supports the local economy, reduces carbon emissions from transportation, and ensures fresher and more nutritious food. Additionally, eating locally can help preserve local farmland and promote sustainable farming practices.

3. What are some examples of local foods in the Almaden, San Jose, Santa Cruz, and SFO areas?

Some examples of local foods in these areas include fruits and vegetables from local farms, locally raised meats, seafood from nearby coasts, and artisanal products such as honey, cheese, and bread. It's also important to consider seasonality when eating locally, as certain foods may only be available during certain times of the year.

4. How can I start eating locally in these areas?

There are many ways to start eating locally in these areas. You can visit farmers markets and farm stands to purchase directly from local producers, join a community-supported agriculture (CSA) program, or shop at local grocery stores that prioritize sourcing from nearby farms. You can also look for restaurants that use locally sourced ingredients on their menus.

5. Are there any challenges to eating locally in these areas?

While there are many benefits to eating locally, there can also be some challenges. Depending on the season and location, it may be difficult to find certain foods that are only available in other regions. Additionally, eating locally may be more expensive in some cases, as locally produced food is often priced based on the true cost of production rather than being subsidized by the government. However, the benefits of supporting local farmers and promoting a more sustainable food system often outweigh these challenges.