Locus of a Point: Find Equation for Equidistant Point P from (3,-1)

  • Thread starter Thread starter zebra1707
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Point
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
zebra1707
Messages
106
Reaction score
0
1. Find the equation of the locus of a point P which is equidistant from the y-axis and the point (3,-1)


2. I think that I need to use

SqRoot (x-x)sq + (y-y)sq = x
SqRoot (x-3)sq + (y+1)sq = x

Expanding is where I get stuck



Cheers
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If [tex](a,b)[/tex] is the point, you need work with

Distance from [tex](a,b)[/tex] to [tex](3,-1)[/tex] = distance from [tex](a,b)[/tex] to the [tex]y-[/tex] axis. Part of this equation is

[tex] \sqrt{(a-0)^2 + (b-b)^2} = \sqrt{a^2} = |a|[/tex]

What is the other part? remember your solution will be an equation, not a single number.
 
Hi there
There is no other part to this question. I think the equation should be y=x Sq + 3

Cheers (very confused).