Logarithm Issue. Unable to find answer sheet answer

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving logarithms where the answer sheet indicates the answer is 0, but the person working the problem gets a different answer. After some investigation and using the formula for logarithms, it is determined that the person's answer of 2log3x is correct. There is speculation that the person setting the question may have made a mistake.
Prof. 27

Homework Statement

log39x4 - log3(3x)2

The answer sheet says that the answer is 0, but when I work the problem both ways I get:
2log3x

Any ideas?

Homework Equations

logxy/z = logxy - logxz

The Attempt at a Solution

Formula Sheet
20-30 Minutes of Messing around with the problem

Physics news on Phys.org
But ##(3x^2)^2=9x^4##.....
[Edit:- so yeah either you typed the question wrong or the answer cannot be 0.]

Likes Prof. 27
I typed it correctly. That's what I thought, but I assumed I must be going crazy or something :| Strange...

Then your answer is correct :-)

Prof. 27 said:

Homework Statement

log39x4 - log3(3x)2

The answer sheet says that the answer is 0, but when I work the problem both ways I get:
2log3x

Any ideas?

Homework Equations

logxy/z = logxy - logxz

The Attempt at a Solution

Formula Sheet
20-30 Minutes of Messing around with the problem

The formatting of the question is not entirely clear. Do you mean
[tex] \log_3 (9x^4) - \log_3 ((3x)^2)\:?[/tex]
If so, your answer is correct.

Perhaps the person setting the question meant something else, but I cannot imagine what.

1. What is a logarithm and why is it important in science?

A logarithm is a mathematical operation used to solve equations involving exponents. It is important in science because it helps us to express extremely large or small numbers in a more manageable way, making it easier to analyze and compare data.

2. What does it mean when I am unable to find an answer to a logarithm problem?

If you are unable to find an answer to a logarithm problem, it could mean that the problem is unsolvable or that you are using the wrong method to solve it. It is important to double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct formula.

3. How can I improve my understanding of logarithms?

One way to improve your understanding of logarithms is to practice solving different types of problems and to seek help from a teacher or tutor if you are struggling. You can also find online resources and tutorials to further explain the concept.

4. Are logarithms used in any specific fields of science?

Yes, logarithms are commonly used in fields such as biology, chemistry, physics, and economics. They are especially useful in analyzing data with exponential growth or decay, such as population growth or radioactive decay.

5. What should I do if I am still unable to find an answer to a logarithm problem?

If you are still unable to find an answer to a logarithm problem, it may be helpful to break the problem down into smaller steps and approach it from a different angle. You can also seek assistance from a math tutor or consult a textbook for additional examples and explanations.