1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fundamental question unable to find answer

1. Jan 29, 2007 #1

cjf

To improve my understanding of physics I was unable find the answer to this
    question on the web after a lot of searching so I'll try here.

let v= net velocity of the x direction and the y direction

You take a particle at rest with mass m and you accelerate it to 80% of c in the x direction it appears to have the mass = m/(1-v^2/c^2}^1.5 when
    resisting acceleration in the x direction.

Now you accelerate the particle moving at 80% of c in the x direction with an electric field which now accelerates the particle in the y direction with no force acting in x direction,
    my question is does the particle appear to have the mass=m/(1-v^2/c^2)^1.5 or mass=m/(1-v^2/c^2)^.5 when resisting acceleration in the y direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It has the same inertial mass in all directions. Mass isn't a vector and doesn't have different components in different directions. And where did you get the funny exponent (1.5)? 0.5 is the correct one.

4. Jan 29, 2007 #3

cjf

where the 1.5 comes from

If you accelerate a particle in the x direction only you will find that the
    particle appears to have a mass = m/(1-v^2/c^2)^1.5 when resisting acceleration in the x direction. This is verified by E=mC^2 which is
    easy to do,you take a fractional change in speed from which you calculate
    the energy change and therefore compute the force*distance required to make that energy change, the particle does not appear to have the
    resitive mass=m/(1-v^2/c^2)^.5 when making a speed change.

5. Jan 29, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok. So this is not a question. It's an advert for your own theory of relativity.

6. Jan 29, 2007 #5

cjf

this relationship is well known in linear acceleration, what I don't understand
    if you accelerate in the y direction and decelerate in the x direction if you used a magnetic field in place of an electric field the resistance to
    acceleration,or mass appears to be in the y direction, in a magnetic field, is mass=m/(1-V^2/c^2)^.5 if in the case of a electric field if mass appears to be mass=m/(1-v^2/c^2)^.5 in acceleration in the y direction, then e=mc^2
    would not be valid in x y acceleration. For e=mc^2 to be valid in the case
    of the electric field, the resistance to acceleration would have to be mass=m/(1-V^2/c^2)^1.5 in both the x and y direction.Why the difference in what
    mass appears to be in the magnetic and electric field in acceleration in the y direction?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?