Advanced problems with answer sheet in statistics

In summary, the person is looking for advanced problems in statistics, specifically in probability distributions and bivariate problems. They are seeking resources such as learning internet sites or theory books with answer sheets. They mention finding some resources on studypug.com and a Schaum textbook, but they did not have the specific problems they were looking for. They mention the use of laplace distribution and moment generating functions, and recommend resources from MIT OCW and Blitzstein's Intro to Probability Book. They also mention finding some assignments to work through.
georg gill
I am looking for advanced problems in statistics with answer sheet on the subjects: probability distributions where you have to rewrite the sum of variables to a new probability distribution. Advanced problems in calculating variance and expected values for probability distributions. Advanced problems for bivariate problems. Does anyone know where to find this? If you know about a learning internet site who provides this please let me know where it is. But it is also nice if you have some problems that covers this in theory books if there is an answer sheet book that is also available.

PS: I have done some research myself and I found that studypug.com provided nice theory on probabilty of permutations and combinations etc. But on the subjects that I have adressed above I am more lost on finding subjects.

An example of an assignment is:

upload_2017-7-27_16-40-57.png

upload_2017-7-27_17-18-36.png

It is expecially assignments with difficulty as assignment c that I am looking for.

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-27_16-42-2.png
    upload_2017-7-27_16-42-2.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 537
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have always been a big fan of the Schaum's Outline series of books because of the huge number of worked examples and exercises. And they are relatively cheap. I don't have one on probability, but there are a few to choose from.

Likes georg gill
I have downloaded a Schaum textbook. It was nice but unfortunately it did not have the problems I was looking for. Especially like the ones that requires rewriting between probability distributions as assignment c) in my first post. Anyone who knows about a problem book with answers that have thoose kind of problems?

georg gill said:
I am looking for advanced problems in statistics with answer sheet on the subjects: probability distributions where you have to rewrite the sum of variables to a new probability distribution. Advanced problems in calculating variance and expected values for probability distributions. Advanced problems for bivariate problems. Does anyone know where to find this?

I'm reading this as 'probability', more so than statistics. What level of 'advanced' are you looking for? Most of the time, adding or calculating expected values is quite easy. Variance, a bit less so. Convolving distributions, even less so (though if they give you the moment generating function maybe not so bad).

I would generally recommend using resources from MIT OCW like 6.041 and 6.262. However, I don't think they use the laplace distribution much and generally do not emphasize moment generating functions.

An alternative approach is Blitzstein's Intro to Probability Book. There are 600 + problems, a solution manual online with some solutions, accompanying video lectures on Youtube. Some of the problem solutions are available online -- if you wanted to jump right to them, you'd find them here:

https://projects.iq.harvard.edu/stat110/strategic-practice-problems

Likes FactChecker and georg gill
StoneTemplePython said:
I'm reading this as 'probability', more so than statistics. What level of 'advanced' are you looking for? Most of the time, adding or calculating expected values is quite easy. Variance, a bit less so. Convolving distributions, even less so (though if they give you the moment generating function maybe not so bad).

I would generally recommend using resources from MIT OCW like 6.041 and 6.262. However, I don't think they use the laplace distribution much and generally do not emphasize moment generating functions.

An alternative approach is Blitzstein's Intro to Probability Book. There are 600 + problems, a solution manual online with some solutions, accompanying video lectures on Youtube. Some of the problem solutions are available online -- if you wanted to jump right to them, you'd find them here:

https://projects.iq.harvard.edu/stat110/strategic-practice-problems
Thanks for the answer. I will look into both places and I have already found some assignments that I will work through. By what level of advanced I am looking for I would say that when it comes to rewriting functions they could have from normal difficulty to tough difficulty because then I can accumulate experience.

1. What are the most common advanced problems in statistics?

The most common advanced problems in statistics include hypothesis testing, regression analysis, multivariate analysis, time series analysis, and experimental design.

2. How can I improve my skills in solving advanced statistics problems?

Practicing regularly, seeking guidance from experts, and taking advanced statistics courses can help improve skills in solving advanced problems in statistics.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving advanced statistics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving advanced statistics problems include not understanding the underlying concepts, not checking for outliers, and not double-checking calculations.

4. How can I prepare for advanced statistics problems on exams?

To prepare for advanced statistics problems on exams, it is important to review and understand key concepts, practice solving similar problems, and seek clarification from the instructor if needed.

5. Is it important to show all steps when solving advanced statistics problems?

Yes, it is important to show all steps when solving advanced statistics problems to demonstrate a thorough understanding of the problem and to receive full credit for the answer.