Logical structure of definitions

In summary, the claim that all definitions are biconditionals is generally true in the context of mathematics. However, not all biconditional statements are considered definitions and may need to be proven as theorems. In addition, a formal definition must define a statement in order for it to be a logical equivalence. Definitions are important in mathematics as they assign labels or names to objects or properties.
Ahmad Kishki
Is the claim that all definitions are biconditionals, true?
Is the converse statement true as well, that all biconditionals are defintions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you provide more context here? What course are you taking? Is this homework?

jedishrfu said:
Can you provide more context here? What course are you taking? Is this homework?

Just a general question i am asking within the context of a real analysis course i am doing as self study.

I was wondering with the definition of the limit point: x is a limit point of the set A given that every epsilon-neighborhood of x intersects A at some point different from x.

If i have an epsilon neighborhood of x whose intersection with A is at some point other than x, then i usually assume that x is a limit point - as if the statement was a biconditional.

Is it usually valid to take definitions as biconditionals? Or is it just within the context of math?

I have come up across many biconditionals which i sometimes have to use in proofs. Example of this one which is considered as a theorem: x is a limit point of a set A if and only if there exists some sequence in A that converges to x which has none of its terms equal to x.

I have seen it in many proofs that i have to say if x is a limit point it just means that there exists a sequence... As if the biconditional statement here acts as an alternative definition.

So is the converse statement that all biconditionals are definitions true?

Ahmad Kishki said:
Just a general question i am asking within the context of a real analysis course i am doing as self study.

I was wondering with the definition of the limit point: x is a limit point of the set A given that every epsilon-neighborhood of x intersects A at some point different from x.

If i have an epsilon neighborhood of x whose intersection with A is at some point other than x, then i usually assume that x is a limit point - as if the statement was a biconditional.

Is it usually valid to take definitions as biconditionals? Or is it just within the context of math?

I have come up across many biconditionals which i sometimes have to use in proofs. Example of this one which is considered as a theorem: x is a limit point of a set A if and only if there exists some sequence in A that converges to x which has none of its terms equal to x.

I have seen it in many proofs that i have to say if x is a limit point it just means that there exists a sequence... As if the biconditional statement here acts as an alternative definition.

So is the converse statement that all biconditionals are definitions true?
I would say though that a "definition" is the assignment of an arbitrary label. If one were to say that A is the definition of B and that B is the definition of A then one would have a circular definition, which would be thought invalid.

So to me a definition is something like the common definition of pi. Pi is just an arbitrary label. If in some other context I wish to define pi as something else, I'm free to do so. I have no such freedom with biconditionals.

Likes Ahmad Kishki
Basically, a "definition" just gives a label, or name, to an object or property. In order to be "well defined" it must be clear that this name applies to anything that fits that definition. In that sense, yes, a definition if "biconditional". But, no, not every biconditional statement is a "definition" although it is true that the two parts of any biconditional can be given the same name.

HallsofIvy said:
Basically, a "definition" just gives a label, or name, to an object or property. In order to be "well defined" it must be clear that this name applies to anything that fits that definition. In that sense, yes, a definition if "biconditional". But, no, not every biconditional statement is a "definition" although it is true that the two parts of any biconditional can be given the same name.

Makes sense. Thank you :)

Ahmad Kishki said:
Is the claim that all definitions are biconditionals, true?
Is the converse statement true as well, that all biconditionals are defintions?

I'd say yes. A formal definition has the form

<statement-to-be-defined> is true if and only if <defined statement is true>.

So you know that if <defined statement is true> then you can conclude <statement-to-be-defined> is true.

A definition amounts to an assumption and , from another point of view, all assumptions are actually definitions. There is an aspect of chronology to definitions. The <statement-to-be-defined> isn't supposed to be defined several times. If you define a statement , then a different claim about it being equivalent to another statement must be proven as a theorem.

Last edited:
Usually one biconditional is selected as a definition and any others need to be proven.

Stephen Tashi said:
I'd say yes. A formal definition has the form

<statement-to-be-defined> is true if and only if <defined statement is true>.
I disagree with this. One does NOT define a "statement". One defines an object, a noun.

So you know that if <defined statement is true> then you can conclude <statement-to-be-defined> is true.

A definition amounts to an assumption and , from another point of view, all assumptions are actually definitions. There is an aspect of chronology to definitions. The <statement-to-be-defined> isn't supposed to be defined several times. If you define a statement , then a different claim about it being equivalent to another statement must be proven as a theorem.

HallsofIvy said:
I disagree with this. One does NOT define a "statement". One defines an object, a noun.

A formal definition must define a statement. Otherwise it wouldn't be a logical equivalence. For example, it wouldn't make sense to say " Real number if and only if ...". The definition must say something like "X is a real number if and only if ...".

No, a definition would be "A real number is ...".

HallsofIvy said:
No, a definition would be "A real number is ...".

The problem with that approach is that you must specify a mathematical definition for "is". The common language definition of "is" is symmetric. (i.e. if A "is" B then we have that B "is" A) By common language if "7 is a real number" the "real number" should be 7. So you are employing a definition of "is" that implies the relation "is a member of". But the phrase "A real number is a member of ..." isn't a noun.

Practically, a biconditional will suffice. But I don't think we want to say that definitions and biconditionals are strictly equivalent (pardon the sloppy language).

The issue is that there are two notions of definition: extensional and intensional. An intensional definition is a list of properties: "A Heegner number is a number d for which the quadratic field ℚ(√(-d)) is uniquely factorable into the factors a + b(-d)." An extensional definition is a list of objects: "A Heegner number is a member of the set {1, 2, 3, 7, 11, 19, 43, 67, 163}."

Typically, mathematics works by showing that two (intensionally defined) objects have the same extension. For instance, a holomorphic function is (intensionally) defined as a function that is complex differentiable at every point on a domain. An analytic function is (intensionally) defined as a function that has a convergent power series at every point on its domain. As it turns out, the above definitions of holomorphic functions and analytic functions pick out identical sets of functions, but we have to prove this. Depending on your interpretation of the ZF axiom of extensionality, you can say that these two identical sets are actually the same set, and we can say that all analytic functions are holomorphic: ∀f(anal(f) ⇔ holo(f)). However, I think it would be a mistake to say that an analytic function can now be defined as a complex differentiable function at every point on its domain. That loses important information about the relations between the intensions.

Stephen Tashi said:
The problem with that approach is that you must specify a mathematical definition for "is". The common language definition of "is" is symmetric. (i.e. if A "is" B then we have that B "is" A) By common language if "7 is a real number" the "real number" should be 7. So you are employing a definition of "is" that implies the relation "is a member of". But the phrase "A real number is a member of ..." isn't a noun.
"7 is a real number is real number" is NOT a definition!

HallsofIvy said:
"7 is a real number is real number" is NOT a definition!

I agree. I didn't say that statement was a definition. My point concerns the form of your definition and what your definition means by "is". If you intend to define "A real number" by saying what that real number "is identucal to" or "is equal to", you need more words to avoid giving a definition that defines exactly one real number (such as 7).

Do you disagree that definitions have the form of "biconditionals"? A biconditional (i.e. logical equivalence) involves two statements.

TeethWhitener said:
Practically, a biconditional will suffice. But I don't think we want to say that definitions and biconditionals are strictly equivalent (pardon the sloppy language).

I agree. And we should also observe that meaningful statements can be false. A statement can have the form of a biconditional and be a false statement. As FactChecker observed, only one biconditional involving a statement is taken as its definition. That biconditional must relate a previously undefined statement to an already defined statement. The definition amounts to an assumption that the biconditional is true. Other biconditionals relating the statement to other statements must be proven as theorems before they are accepted as true.

To formally write the definition ""A Heegner number is a member of the set {1, 2, 3, 7, 11, 19, 43, 67, 163}.", it could be rewritten as biconditional using relations that are defined in set theory ( "is a member of" and "equal" (as equality is defined for sets)). To write an informal definition involving membership in sets one may say "is a member of" without meaning the relation [itex] \in [/itex]. However, in a formal definition, I think that should be avoided.

1. What is the importance of defining terms in a logical structure?

Defining terms in a logical structure is crucial because it provides clarity and precision in communication. It ensures that everyone is on the same page and understands the exact meaning of a term, avoiding any confusion or misinterpretation.

2. How is the logical structure of definitions different from a dictionary definition?

A dictionary definition is simply a brief explanation of a term, while a logical structure of definitions breaks down the term into its essential components and explains how they relate to each other. It provides a more comprehensive understanding of the term and its context.

3. Can the logical structure of definitions change over time?

Yes, the logical structure of definitions can change over time as language and concepts evolve. New information and understanding can lead to updates and revisions in definitions to reflect the most accurate and current understanding of a term.

4. How does the logical structure of definitions help in scientific research?

The logical structure of definitions is essential in scientific research as it provides a clear and standardized framework for understanding and discussing concepts. It ensures that researchers are using consistent terminology and can accurately communicate their findings to others in the scientific community.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when creating a logical structure of definitions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when creating a logical structure of definitions include using circular definitions (where the term being defined is used in its own definition), using overly complex language, and not providing enough context or examples to fully understand the term.