London Forces, current, and boiling and melting points

In summary: In solids, however, the dispersion forces are generally much stronger and electric fields would not have much of an effect on the overall strength of the bonds.
sermatt
Alright, so I've posted this in physics forum not so long ago, but still haven't gotten any responses.

Ok, so we know that the more electrons there are in the valence shell of an atom, the stronger the London Dispersion Forces are, and therefore, the compound will have a higher melting and boiling points.

But now suppose electricity is being conducted through the object. Because it will have a smaller number of valence electrons (those are the charged particles that flow, creating electric current), would it be safe to assume that the London Forces would get weaker, and therefore, the overall sum of intermolecular forces would be less than the original, resulting in lower melting and boiling points?

In other words, would it require less energy to break the intermolecular forces on an object that has an current passing through it?

Though this up in chemistry class
Pardon my grammar, just woke up

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Does anyone actually know the answer to that question? Or is this something new to the scientific world?

:) I wish

Conductive materials like metals generally are not bound together by dispersion forces. The fact that electrons can flow between atoms means that the molecules' orbitals overlap and are therefore chemically bound. In this case, the dispersion forces will be much weaker than the actual chemical bonds.

Applying an electric field to a system of particles that interact via dispersion forces would probably increase the intermolecular forces, however. The electric field would induce dipoles in the molecules and you could have dipole-dipole interactions rather than dispersion interactions.

I'm currently studying a section on intermolecular forces. I don't know much about electric fields, but since you said this would induce dipoles, wouldn't this mean that an electric field would actually strengthen the bonds between the metal atoms, since dipole forces are much stronger than dispersion forces?

pzona said:
I'm currently studying a section on intermolecular forces. I don't know much about electric fields, but since you said this would induce dipoles, wouldn't this mean that an electric field would actually strengthen the bonds between the metal atoms, since dipole forces are much stronger than dispersion forces?

Yep.

Yggie-d wrote:
Applying an electric field to a system of particles that interact via dispersion forces would probably increase the intermolecular forces, however. The electric field would induce dipoles in the molecules and you could have dipole-dipole interactions rather than dispersion interactions.

Thank you all.

pzona said:

In metals, the primary interatomic force holding the atoms together is the overlap of the atomic orbitals of the metal atoms (which is much stronger than typical dipole-dipole interactions). Although I do not know how electric fields would affect these forces, if they did increase the strength of the bonds between metal atoms, it would not be by inducing dipoles to strengthening dipole-dipole interactions.

This mechanism would, however, be valid in a gas (or possibly liquid) where the intermolecular forces are weaker.

What are London Forces?

London Forces, also known as dispersion forces, are the weakest type of intermolecular force. They are caused by temporary dipoles that occur due to the random movement of electrons in molecules.

How do London Forces affect boiling and melting points?

London Forces increase the boiling and melting points of substances because they require more energy to overcome the attractive forces between molecules.

What is the relationship between current and London Forces?

There is no direct relationship between current and London Forces. However, London Forces play a role in determining the physical properties of substances, which can affect their conductivity and therefore their ability to conduct current.

How do molecules with higher polarizability exhibit stronger London Forces?

Polarizability refers to the ability of a molecule to be distorted by an external electric field. Molecules with higher polarizability have more easily distorted electron clouds, making them more likely to form temporary dipoles and have stronger London Forces.

Why do substances with stronger London Forces tend to be more viscous?

Viscosity is a measure of a substance's resistance to flow. Stronger London Forces create stronger intermolecular attractions, making it more difficult for molecules to move past each other and increasing the viscosity of the substance.