Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Longest tennis match in history isn't finished yet

1. Jun 23, 2010 #1

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

A first-round match at Wimbledon has gone to 59-59 in the fifth set. They started playing yesterday, got suspended because of darkness, resumed today and got suspended because of darkness again. They've been at it for ten hours so far!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/tennis/06/23/isner.mahut.ap/index.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2010 #2

Evo

Good lord.

4. Jun 23, 2010 #3

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And it was warm and quite humid today (I live close to Wimbledon). I was out running for about 40 min earlier this evening (while they were still playing) and that was more than enough. 10 hours is just insane:surprised

5. Jun 23, 2010 #4

fluidistic

Gold Member

They should have continued with light bulbs... Too bad they can rest for so long. It wouldn't have lasted so long if they had played continuously.

6. Jun 23, 2010 #5

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Were you watching? By the end, whenever someone was getting close to being broken (which wasn't often, something like 6 break points the whole day) the server would just dig up a solid 120 mph serve (which was faster than most at that point) and the other guy would be helpless. They needed to stop because nobody had the energy to break by the end

7. Jun 23, 2010 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Yep! Brutal. When the server gains that much edge due to lack of reflex and response of the receiver, it can be tough. Lots of players can come up with an impressive serve when needed, but be unable to run cross-court, volley, etc in order to salvage a point.

8. Jun 23, 2010 #7

danago

Gold Member

Thats amazing. Ive watched plenty of tennis matches that went quite far into the fifth set, but somebody always falters before it gets too far into it. Unbelieveable how consistently these guys played.

9. Jun 24, 2010 #8

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Wow! I'm definitely curious to see when that ends.

10. Jun 24, 2010 #9

jtbell

They're supposed to resume on Court 18 sometime after 15:30 local time, 10:30 AM in the eastern US. I don't have cable or satellite TV (only terrestrial broadcasts), but it looks like it will be streamed on espn3.com for people in the US.

11. Jun 24, 2010 #10

Borek

Looks like they are both still going strong - 61:61.

Edit - 63:63.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  12. Jun 24, 2010 #11
    This is almost as good as this one time me and two other people had a 3 way tie in rock paper scissors like 7 times in a row. What are the chances of that?

Well they weren't all 3 way ties, but one of us would choose rock, the other scissors and the other paper, so we had to redo it. That happened like 7 or 8 times in a row.

13. Jun 24, 2010 #12

Borek

67:67

14. Jun 24, 2010 #13

Borek

Isner 70:68

15. Jun 24, 2010 #14

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ouch, it would hurt to lose a match after all that. Well I'm sure the winner hurts too.

16. Jun 24, 2010 #15

jtbell

Here's the final scoreboard, with Isner and Mahut standing next to it.

Attached Files:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook